Chapter 17

Death kept his head low during class. He studied over his notes and didn't make eye contact with him. He had to admit though, Devil made a creative name for himself. Mr. Grimm was his name. Death actually found it funny but he didn't dare laugh.

"Do you know those notes by heart yet Cain?" Adrian asked.

"Not yet," he replied. Death turned over another page of notes and began to read that page.

"Are you alright? You seem kind go jumpy,"

"I know the substitute and he doesn't like me,"

"Oh,"

Adrian went quite after that and started reading his book. Death looked around the classroom and locked eyes with Devil. Death quickly looked back down. Death would be lucky to leave the class without having a heart attack first. His heart was beating so loud that Death wondered if anyone could hear his pounding heart. The bell rang and Death couldn't have felt more relieved. He got up from his chair and almost sprinted to the door.

"Cain, stay behind please," Devil said in a smooth tone. Death froze in his tracks and looked back at Devil who had a grin plastered on his face. Death gulped and sat back down in his chair. After the last student left, Devil got up from the teacher's chair and walked over to Death.

"I see you've gotten use to the human life Death,"

"I have actually, but I heard you had a job for me. Is it true?"

"Yes, and I have the List with me today. I'll gladly hand it over to you, that is if you still want it?"

"I still want the List. So, if you would hand it over to me please?"

Devil smiled at Death. He grabbed the List from his coat and handed it to Death.

"If you want to join back as a Power then you will have to have this list completed by the end of the week. Understood?"

"Understood,"

Devil gestured for Death to leave. He was more than happy to leave Devil. Death got up from his seat and walked out of the class. The hall was almost empty. Death took a deep breath and stuffed the List in his pocket. He would have to look at it when he got home tonight. He went to his next class and sat down just as the bell rang.

"Why were you almost late?" Dante asked him.

"Mr. Grimm told me to stay behind after class,"

"Who?"

"Never mind,"

Dante looked at him oddly but went back to his notes. Death was glad he didn't get questioned any further. He didn't have a good answer to who Mr. Grimm really was. Death's classes went by and he was happy to say he didn't see Devil again. At lunch Death looked around for Arabella. He knew that she was still at school. Dante herded him over to the table that the three sat at but Death couldn't sit still. He fidgeted in his seat and swiveled his head looking for her.

"Who are you looking for?" Dante asked.

"Arabella,"

Dante sat a little higher in his seat and helped Death look for her. Adrian wasn't paying attention to the other two. He was too focused on his homework to look up. Dante's face lit up and he got up from his seat. He had spotted Arabella getting out of the lunch line with her tray. He grabbed her arm and escorted her to their table. Dante let her go when she was seated next to Death.

"Looks like I'm sitting here then," Arabella stated. Dante sat back down in his seat and dug into his food. Death looked down at Arabella's wrist that had been bleeding not too long ago. It looked okay. Her shirt sleeve was still damp from the paper towels but it was fine besides that. Arabella grabbed his hand and intertwined their fingers together.