Chapter 12

Death sat in the principal's office waiting to be called in. Clayton wasn't there. He was in the nurse's office with a fractured jaw, or a broken jaw. Death couldn't remember what they said. All he could remember is Clayton's face when he realized that he had been knocked down a peg or two by the new kid.

"Cain," stated the principal. Death looked up from the floor and got out of his seat. The principal stepped aside so Death could come into his office. The principal was an older man who seemed to be going blind in his right eye. He had graying black hair and was much smaller than Death in height. He felt like a giant standing next to the principal. He walked around to his desk and took a seat. He signaled for Death to sit in the only available chair.

"Would you like to tell me what happened today between you and Mr. Donahue?" the principal asked in a calm tone.

"He was getting on my nerves," Death mumbled. The principal sighed and took a deep breath.

"Listen Cain, you seem like a nice kid. So, I don't understand why you would just such someone,"

"I told you he was getting on my nerves. He was trying to keep me away from a friend of mine and he was being a jerk. So, I just knocked him off his high horse,"

"Did Clayton threaten you if you went near this friend of yours?"

"No, but if I didn't punch him he was probably going to punch me,"

"I'll let you go with a week of detention but next time this happens I will suspend you Cain," the principal stated. Death nodded and exited the office. He entered the hall and everyone that was in the hall gave him space. He looked at them and the students sped up their pace and hurried away from him. Adrian and Dante locked eyes with him and ran up to him.

"Is it true? Did you really punch Clayton?" Adrain asked.

"Yea, apparently I fractured or broke his jaw. Not sure which exactly," Death responded. Both boys looked at one another and then looked at Death.

"I guess we were wrong about your strength then Cain," Dante stated.

"Guess so, but I think everyone is afraid of me now," Death said.

"What do you mean?" Adrian asked.

"Everyone is practically running away from me in the halls,"

"Well what do you expect? You knocked out the best football player with a single punch,"

Death looked around the hall. It was almost empty except for a few students who were still making their way to their next class. Death sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I'm going to class," Death stated. Adrian and Dante followed him and they went to class. When they entered the students glanced at them and quickly looked away. Death took his seat next to Adrian and tried to focus on what the teacher was saying instead of all the eyes that were staring at him. Classes flew by for Death and the story about the 'fight' between Clayton and Cain spread like wildfire. Death heard whispers in the halls as he walked through the school. He held his tongue and didn't say a word. He was walking down the hall, going to his next class and before he knew it he was being pulled into a room. A janitors closet to be exact. His eyes quickly adjusted to the dim light and he saw Roxanne was the one who had dragged him in there.

"What do you want?" Death hissed at her.

"Heard about the fight between you and Clayton,"

"Hasn't everyone?"

"Well I thought you might want to know that Clayton will get you back,"

"Kind of figured he would. I'm not dumb,"

"What's your problem?"

"Ever since I punched Clayton everyone seems to be afraid of me, and I don't like it!"
"What do you expect? You knocked the top dog out of his place and now everyone is trying to see who you really are. Face it the days of Mr. New Kid is over,"

"How do I not make them afraid of me?"

"Make yourself likable and less intimidating,"

Before Death could say anything else the door opened to reveal a shriveled old man with a cart full of cleaning supplies. Both Roxanne and Death looked at him like deer caught in headlights.

"Get out of my office!" he shouted at them. Death took off out of the closet but Roxanne calmly walked out like she did nothing wrong. Death ran to his locker and stood against it catching his breath. Students streamed past him and didn't give him a second glance. Death growled under his breath. If he was in his old position then he wouldn't be treated like this. He would have respect. Death silently wished he had his old post back but at the same time he liked being with on Earth with Joe and the dogs, Adrian, Dante, and Arabella. He liked this life but he didn't like the lack of respect that he received.

"Hey Cain," someone said next to him. He looked up from his hunched position and saw Arabella standing next to him.

"Hey,"

"I heard about what happened with you and Clayton,"

"I think everyone has by now,"

"I just wanted to say thank you,"

Death looked at her confusedly. Why was she thanking him for knocking someone out?

"Clayton never gave me any space and now since you punched him I think he has learned to stay away from me,"

"Oh, well your welcome. He was just getting on my nerves so I had to do something,"

Arabella gave him a soft smile and nodded her head.

"I understand Cain. You don't have to explain yourself to me,"

Death nodded and looked back at his locker. He had lost his words and he didn't know what to say. Arabella engulfed him in a hug and he almost stepped away from it in surprise. After a few seconds he hugged her back.

"Thanks again," Arabella whispered.

"Your welcome," he responded. Arabella took a step away and looked at him. A look of puzzlement crossed her face. She was staring at his jacket.

"White leather," she mumbled. Death looked at his jacket. It was the old one he would always wear. White leather with some dark stains.

"Yea, I have to wash it," Death said to both himself and her.

"It looks so familiar," Arabella said. Death gulped. There was no way she recognized the jacket. Arabella looked back up at him and gave him an odd look. She studied for what seemed like hours, and in a split second her eyes widened in fear and took off down the hall running. Death was confused for a moment before he realized she recognized him. She really recognized who he really was. He looked down the hall to where she ran off. Arabella no longer knew the new kid as Cain. She knew and remembered him as the one and only Death.

A/N
Oh Death you are so intelligent. The one jacket that she would recognize you wore to school. Now that Arabella knows what will she think of him? And what is Clayton going to do to get back at Death for what he did? Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment. I apologize for the short chapter but my mind was all over the place today. Media above is Emperor's New Clothes by Panic at the the Disco.

-Dragon 🐉