You Can't Hurt Me (Part Two)

Requested by NormanDarylRD

The first part was written so long ago! I hope you enjoy this, I was surprised it was requested to be fair. But thank you for requesting.

You were being pulled throughout Woodbury, the people from the prison trying to get out before they were killed. But you just weren't having any of it. You stopped dead in your tracks, refusing to step any further.

Rick paused to look back at you, shocked at your actions. "(Y/N)! Come on! What are you doing?"

"I'm not leaving. I'm going back in. Daryl put his neck on the line to save my ass, so I'm going to do the same." You shouted at him.

You didn't let Rick say anything to stop you, you turned on your heel and sprinted. You ran, pretty much blind, not knowing where the hell you were going. As far as you knew, you could be running as far away as possible, and you'd never be able to tell the difference. But you carried on anyway.

As you sprinted through the town, looking desperately through the streets, you somehow managed to find him. In the distance, you could see him struggling against a group of men, he was well outnumbered. You quickly sped up, trying to catch up to him.

Surely, you thought, the attempt was futile. Even as you felt the blood pumping through your veins and heard your heart beating in your ears, you didn't think you'd be able to reach him. But apparently, you underestimated​ yourself, either that or his captors were as slow as snails.

You skidded to a halt behind a huge​ brute of a guy, but managed to land your elbow into the small of his back. Obviously, you had taken him by surprise, since the sudden impact of your hit made him groan and let go of Daryl. Seizing his chance, Dixon used his free arm to hit another of his captors.

Adrenaline taking over, you helped the redneck take down the men surrounding him. You landed punches and kicks to the sides of the men, hoping you'd be able to keep the down. It was Daryl who decided when enough was enough, grabbing your arm and making a run for it.

By the time you reached the fence where Rick had previously been, nobody from the prison was still there. Instead, Daryl helped you get over the walls, before jumping over himself. Again, he grabbed your arm and pulled you into the trees. It took him a good five minutes of running and hopping over tree roots before he stopped and let go of you.

"You saved my ass back there," he breathed, struggling to form words after his extensive running.

You smiled slightly, nodding, "Well, you saved mine. Now we're even."

He began to walk away, obviously trying to find a way back to the prison. You hurried after him, the smile still playing at your lips, "Just don't expect a kiss or anything. I'm not that kind of hero."

"Nah, I didn't peg you as the knight in shining armour type," he chuckled, holding a tree branch out of the way so you could get past.

"Ass," you muttered, shaking your​ head in amusement. You were quick to take the lead, making your way in the general direction of the prison. And the two of you stayed silent for a while.

Just before you broke the treeline before the prison, Daryl mumbled, "Hey, did you see Andrea back there?"

"No, why?"

He sighed, looking at you with his big blue eyes, "I'm pretty sure I did. And I think she saw me, too."

"That changes things. We'll have to tell Rick." You chirped, ready to break into a run to the prison gates.

Daryl was quick to stop you, once again grabbing your arm. "Wait a second. I want you to know, before we go bounding back in there, that we do care about you. We all do," he breathed, "it may not seem like it to you, but to us? You're a valued member of the team. I'm pretty sure you've saved all of our lives at least once. So, never say nobody cares. We all care," he finished.

You had to gulp past the lump in your throat. Those few words may not seem much, but they meant the world to you. To know people cared, that they wanted you safe, was the push you needed. Maybe now, you could finally start being happy again.

"Thank you, Daryl," you whispered, reaching up to land a small, gentle kiss on his stubbly cheek. Hey, maybe you were the knight in shining armour kind of hero after all.

...

Wow, I know. An update. And a pretty shitty one at that. Sorry.

Any who! Just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to each and every one of you. Thanks to you guys, this story has hit #821 in fanfiction. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever get ranked in fan fiction. It means a lot. So thank you!

And for all the votes too! Oh my actual, fucking god. It's brilliant. Thank you.

Sorry to all those waiting for requests! They'll get done soon!

Lotsa Love, Skye xoxo