Prom Queen

Tara
Imagine: In Alexandria, you, Tara, Rosita, and Maggie are all sat around a table discussing your pasts. That's when the topic of old school proms come up...

"So," Rosita starts, looking around at you all, "What about school? Like, did you ever get with any really gorgeous guys? Or gals?" She adds, glancing at yourself and Tara holding hands at the table.

You laugh in response, "No. But I really loved watching the looks on their faces when I turned them down." You chuckle as the memories of high school come flooding back. You're the youngest at the table, only just graduated as the world died, so the memories are fresher for you then anybody else.

Maggie smiled, "High school prom. Wow... that was fun." She reminisced. All four of you nodded your heads in agreement. If only things hadn't changed. Maggie began to chuckle, "For quite a while I thought I wouldn't get to go. Or that I'd be the sad farm girl who went without a date. I really wanted someone who my daddy would have approved of, you know? But all the boys at school who asked me were complete jerks. It took a while, but in the end this one boy asked me. He was sweet, hard working, definitely the type you take to meet the parents..." She trailed off, a smile lingering on her face.

"What happened?" You asked, sensing the other side to this story.

"He got so drunk that he threw up all over my prom dress on the way home." She finished, cringing at the words. The rest of you burst out in laughter, not expecting the story to go that way. "What about you guys?" Maggie pushed, trying to get the spotlight to shine somewhere else.

Rosita spoke next, "I went out of my way to make sure my parents hated the boy I brought home for prom." She chuckled, "I was the wild, rebellious type. This one guy at school, he was over six feet tall, real intelligent, probably could have been a football player of he wanted. But no. Died black hair, piercings, tattoos, the lot. You should have seen the look of disgust on my dad's face when he opened the door that night. It was priceless." She recited, her face lighting up as she remembered her past.

Tara coughed, "I didn't have as much fun at prom as you guys did."

"Why not, sweets?" You asked, a frown on your face.

"I almost got kicked out..." Tara admitted. You, Maggie and Rosita instantly gasped, demanding more information. "Okay, okay. I'll tell you. So picture this: crowded dance floor, a bunch of dancing teenagers, a lot of them in seven inch heels. Well. I'm over by the punch bowl, trying to avoid my date, when someone sneaks their way up next to me and clears their throat. I instantly freak out and react by punching the guy so hard that he falls straight back into the table, knocking over the punch bowl and soaking about five popular blonde girls with the stuff." She concludes, a giant grin making its way on to her face.

You look at her in shock, "I knew you were clumsy, but my god!" You giggle.

Tara playfully hits your arm, "What about you? What's your prom story?"

Your cheeks flushed pink as you rubbed the back of your neck awkwardly, "I, uh, actually got Prom Queen." You admit shyly.

"Wow! Really?" Maggie asked, obviously impressed.

"Yeah..." You nod your head, looking over at Tara. "That's actually how the group found me." You admit.

Tara's eyebrows knit together, "What do you mean?"

The concrete was warm on your bare feet as you walked down the middle of the road, shoes in hand. You were overcome with exhaustion and despair. Just about an hour or two ago, your car had broken down and the gun you had been given had ran out of bullets. So now here you were, walking down the roads on your own.

You didn't care that you probably looked a mess. Looking down, you saw that your arms were covered in thick and sticky blood... you hadn't been to a bathroom since you left Cali. Your hair was a tangled mess, your tiara caught in the knots. Your once pretty blue and gold prom dress was now ripped short for practicality, and was also covered in blood.

Just as you were about to collapse, you heard the unmistakable roar of car engines ahead of you. Looking at the road in front of you, you spotted a line of cars making their way towards you. Thankfully they stopped when they caught sight of you stood there. A man in a Sheriff's uniform stepped out of one of the vehicles, closely followed by a dark haired woman and an Asian boy. The sheriff walked towards you, "Are you okay?" He asked tentatively.

You nodded your head. You were scared to use your voice, it would probably come out scratchy and tearful. The last person you had spoken to was the teacher that drove you away from school. But she had died a week ago.

"What's your name, Prom Queen?" Asked the Asian boy as he saw the bright pink sash draped over your dress.

"(Y/N)." You replied softly.

The sheriff looked at you with pity, "Have you been on your own this whole time?"

Reluctantly, you shook your head. The woman stepped towards you, "Let me take those. I'll find you something more comfortable to walk in." She said, going to grab the stilettos from your hands.

Instantly you pulled away. "No. I... My gun run out of ammo a while back. These are my only weapons." You responded, glancing down at the blood and brains covering the heels of your shoes. Sure, the damn things were hard to walk in, but when faced with three corpses and no ammo they were good for slamming into the skulls of the undead. The heels had saved your life more than once.

"How did it happen to you?" Tara asked, squeezing your hand and looking worried.

You sigh, "California. Prom night. Everything was peachy. Then I was announced as Prom Queen and I walked up to the throne. I was not expecting it, me? Prom Queen? No way! As I sat there, I thought my high school were planning on reenacting Carrie or something. But no, no pigs blood came raining from the ceiling. Instead, a walker took a chunk out of the Prom King sat next to me. One of the teachers, one I had always gotten along with, grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the school to her car. Promised to get me out. Said she had heard stuff like this was happening all over the country. So we drove. And drove. But then she died. And eventually I came across the crew on their way to the CDC." You finished, letting out a huge sigh at the memory.

"That settles it." Rosita stated.

You looked at her quizzically, not understanding. "You have the best prom story. But also the worst..." She mumbled, trying to lighten the mood.

Tara squeezed your hand again, "So, I'm dating a prom queen?" She asked, eyebrows raised.

"Not just any prom queen sweets. A stiletto wielding zombie killer prom queen." You clarified, placing a gentle kiss on her lips.

Tara laughed, "I always wondered about your fascination with high heels. Now I know. They saved your life." She chuckled.

"And they made me look fabulous as they did so." You giggled. "You know, I still have the sash and tiara." You add.

Her eyebrows raised playfully, "They might just come in handy." She muttered, pulling you in for another kiss.