nine

"Carter," I hear Ethan groan from beside me.

"Hm?" I respond, barely awake. I've never been more exhausted ever and Ethan has the fucking audacity to wake me up with his god damn sexy ass voic--

"Pick up your fucking phone. It's been ringing for the past five minutes," he says, stuffing his face into the pillow, clearly frustrated.

I groan, sitting up and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I grab my phone sitting on the bedside table beside me as it illuminated making it the only thing shining in the dark room. I squint my eyes due to the bright light until I finally make out who was calling me at four in the morning. Well, four in the afternoon for them.

I press accept, holding the phone between my ear and shoulder before getting up out of bed. "Hello?" I say, walking over to a pile of clothes that I had yet to hang up or fold into drawers. I pick up undergarments, slipping them on then wearing a sweatshirt and shorts over.

"Carter, it's great to hear your voice and hear that you're okay," he says, "I miss you, how are things?" he asks. I hear shuffling in the background, but choose to ignore it.

"I'm great. New Jersey's treating me well," I lightly smile, "are you doing fine in Australia?"

"I'm okay. I'm thinking about maybe getting some sort of pet to maybe keep me company while you're gone," he chuckles, "sorry for waking you so very late or very early. I know it's four in the morning there but I just couldn't wait for you to call me any more."

"I know, I'm sorry dad. I've been dealing with things here. I promised myself I would call you when I woke up."

"It's fine, sunshine," he sighs, "I've got to go, but remember that I love you. Stay safe."

"I will, I promise."

"I should probably let you get some sleep now. Bye, see you soon," he says before hanging up. I sigh, pulling the phone away from my ear before shutting it off, making the room go dark again. I turn around, dragging my feet across the carpeted floor towards the bed. Setting my phone down onto the bedside table, I crawl back into the bed, lifting the blanket for myself to get inside of.

I plant a kiss onto Ethan's forehead before flopping my head onto the fluffy pillows.

----

Turns out, I couldn't get any sleep after the phone call with my dad. It's not for a reason. After I woke up, my mind just kept overthinking like it always does, so it was pretty hard to sleep then. Also because of the crazy loud snoring from Ethan.

It checked the time on my phone as it read 8am.

I whip my head up hearing the door open without warning, "Breakfast," Grayson bursts into the room with a toothbrush in his mouth. I chuckle, running my hand through my hair and rubbing my eyes in attempt to stay awake during the rest of the day.

"Get up," I shake Ethan making him whine.

"Die," he replies, making me shake me head laughing.

"Come on," I shove his shoulder making him turn around where his back laid down on the soft sheets of the bed. My legs straddle his waist making him open an eye.

"You know, now that I think of it... I really miss high school," I sigh, "besides all the work and teachers, my friends really made it the best four years ever."

"You're friends as in me and the boys?"

"Exactly," I grin, leaving his body and dragging my feet to the door.

"Come on before you miss your mom's amazing breakfast," I chuckle leaving the room and down the stairs. There's chatter in the kitchen and noises of kitchenware being clattered making loud noises.

"Morning," I say, scratching the back of my neck as my other arm held my chest. Honestly, I couldn't help but feel awkward even though they had no clue what happened.

No one was home at the time. I think.

"Good morning Carter. Pancakes?" I nod, sitting in a stool while Lisa prepared the pancakes on the plate, although I couldn't well done it myself. I was thankful she was doing something like that even though it's been done all my life. My breakfast being given to me, I mean. But it was nice having someone who is very much like a mother figure to me do something like that.

"Thank you," I say once she gives the plate of pancakes to me. She nods, turning around to make more of her... magical foods.

I hear Ethan run down the stairs quickly before stealing a piece of bacon from a plate. His other hand goes to his hair, fixing it up a bit before sitting next to me.

"Since you miss the boys so much, I rounded them up and we're gonna spend a weekend up north at a rental cabin that I found before Kendall goes off to college."

"Really? That's amazing!" I grin, "how come I didn't know he was going to college."

"I didn't either, he just told me a couple minutes ago," he laughs, stuffing his face in pancakes.

"Get ready for this trip!" Ethan clasps his hands together, "I'll go inform Grayson."

I wanted to scream. I couldn't be more excited. I need to pack now. The weekend starts tomorrow and being a girl, I guess I'll probably need more for the woods.

This is going to be so fun.

__________________

END OF CHAPTERS NINE

SHIIIIITTTTTTT IM SOOOO SORRY FOR JOT UPDATING IN A FUCKING MONTH IVE BEEN SLACKING AND I HATE THE FEELING OF LEAVING YOU GUYS BUT I JUST -- I CANT HELP SHIT

PLS DONT HATE ME I KNOW YALL LOVE THIS BOOK AND IM SORRY IM SORRY IM SORRY IM SORRY

Also before you get angry that this chapter is super short, the next one is long and will come soon, okay?

With all love, J 🌺