four

Unedited

3:03am | same day

Ethan's pov

I sigh, finishing up cleaning the kitchen until it was spotless. I got rid of the glass shards, as well as the spilled alcohol.

My mind is everywhere. I'd never seen Carter break down like that, and it scared me. I didn't know what to do.

She's currently sitting on the couch in our living room, wrapped in a white, fluffy blanket.

Not wanting to avoid anymore conversation, I slowly make my way towards the couch in which she's sitting on.

Her head is laying back, and her eyes are shut. But I know she's awake. Her breathing is steady, and her legs are curled up to her chest.

"Carter," I whisper, circling around the couch, and sitting next to her. Immediately, her body scoots closer to mine with her head lying on my shoulder.

I take one of her hands, holding it, tracing circles. She doesn't say anything, but I don't either. It's complete silence that filled the air, but for some reason, after all that had happened, it wasn't an awkward silence. Not at all.

It was a comfortable one.

"Kenzie's really lucky," Carter says, barely above a whisper. "She's got everything I've ever wanted since I got here," she adds, making me suck in a breath.

"What's that?" I ask, acting completely clueless, although I knew she was talking about me.

"Happiness," she whispers.

Oh, wasn't talking about me in particular, but whatever.

"Where's your happy place. Just take yourself there," I say, hoping I'd lighten up the mood, knowing I'm not a motivational speaker.

She closes her eyes, taking in a deep breath. After a few moments, I see her lip tug upwards out of the corner of my eye.

"Where is it?" I question.

She doesn't answer at first, making me think that maybe she hadn't heard me. I almost repeated myself until she replies with, "Senior year," She pauses for a moment, hesitating to say the next part.

"When you loved me."

----

"Kenzie, I know you're at a family thing, but I miss you. Call me back," I say, finishing up the voicemail I had just left her. I left her three voicemails, and I know that's not a lot, but I didn't want to seem clingy, although I strangely am.

I let out a breath, setting my phone down on the night table next to me. The amount of stress I'm putting myself through is ridiculous.

I met Kenzie because Lexi had told me that I needed to get over Carter, and that she'd never be coming back. She set us up on a date. Kenzie was there for me for the months and months I had spent without Carter. And funny thing is, when I was with Kenzie, I completely forgot about Carter, and I was happy.

But... Now Carter's back. I don't know what for, or how long she's staying, but I want to make the most of it. When she left, I wouldn't leave my room. I wouldn't even eat.

That is, until I met Kenzie. Who is a really good person when you think of it. She can kind of be bitchy, and she'll sometimes laugh bitterly at something you had done, but I swear; good person.

I'm not sure if Grayson likes her, but I haven't even asked for his opinion yet. And if he doesn't, I honestly don't want to ask.

Kenzie makes me happy.

But not as much as Carter did.

I'm with Kenzie now.

But you want Carter back.

I like Kenzie.

You love Carter.

__________

END OF CHAPTER 4

Barely even a chapter lol. This is a filler guys. But I'm rlly lazy, I can't even write rn.

Check out my new book. It's called happy. It's an Ethan fanfic, cause I'm a hardcore Ethan girl. Well, idk. I'm a grethan girl, but I'm weighing more on the Ethan side.

IDK ITS COMPLICATED

Anyways, sorry for short chapter. Until next time ✌🏻🌶