Chapter Eighteen

Not So Bad After All
Book One
Chapter Eighteen
Jayden's Pov
___________________

"Having a Coke With You is even more fun than going to San Sebastian, Irún, Hendaye, Biarritz, Bayonne or being sick to my stomach on the Travesera de Gracia in Barcelona, partly because in your orange shirt you look like a better happier St. Sebastian, partly because of my love for you, partly because of your love for yoghurt- I'm sorry I can't do this."

"Come on Jay, take this seriously. We have to have this entire poem memorized by Friday," Rose whined.

"I'm sorry, this poem is a little..." I trailed off chuckling, unable to contain it any longer.

Rose rolled her eyes and stared out at the ocean's water as it gently wet the sand.

We thought that the beach would be a cool place to come and study. Nobody really came here in the middle of November. We were the only weirdos that would come here since it was cold. But we laid a blanket down so we wouldn't get sand everywhere and on ourselves. We were both also wrapped in our own blanket to keep the chill off. It was actually really nice to be here. Being away from the town, and away from all the people. There's nothing here could annoy me. The wind and the sound of the waves pulling and crashing into each other was probably the most peaceful thing that I've ever heard. Seeing it during this season, was another great experience entirely.

Rose was getting annoyed with me though. She wanted me to take this seriously but I was having some trouble with that. "Alright alright..." I gave in.

"We've been working on this all week. Put some passion into it. Say it like you mean it," She told me.

That was the problem. I already had the poem memorized. I just sounded stupid reading it. I've never had to do anything like this before and I sure as hell never felt anything like that before. So how am I supposed to say it like I mean it?

"Do you think you can at least try?" She asked. "Please? It's important."

"Okay..." I sighed giving in to the puppy dog eyes she was giving me. "Having a coke with you is even more fun than going to San Sebastian, Irún, Hendaye, Biarritz, Bayonne, or being sick to my stomach on the Travesera de Gracia in Barcelona. Partly because in your orange shirt you look like a better happier St. Sebastian. Partly because of my love for you, partly because of your love for Yoghurt," I spoke as I stared at her. Her eyes never left mine and in a strange yet comforting way. Somehow, looking at her made it easier for me to recite, almost as if it were my own feelings.

"Partly because of the fluorescent orange tulips around the birches. Partly because of the secrecy our smiles take on before people and statuary, it is hard to believe when I'm with you that there can be anything as still, as solemn, as unpleasantly definitive as statuary when right in front of it," I continued.

"In the warm New York four o'clock light we are drifting back and forth between each other like a tree breathing through its spectacles, and the portrait show seems to have no faces in it at all, just paint," She recited her part of the poem with the same intended emotion and her eyes still never left mine.

"You suddenly wonder why in the world anyone ever did them," I said.

"I look at you and I would rather look at you than all the portraits in the world. Except possibly for the Polish Rider occasionally and anyway it's in the Frick, which thank heavens you haven't gone to yet so we can go together for the first time," She spoke.

"and the fact that you move so beautifully more or less takes care of Futurism. Just as at home I never think of the Nude Descending a Staircase or at a rehearsal a single drawing of Leonardo or Michelangelo that used to wow me," I said.

Rose smiled, "And what good does all the research of the Impressionists do them, when they never got the right person to stand near the tree when the sun sank, or for that matter Marino Marini when he didn't pick the rider as carefully as the horse."

I felt a smirk playing on my lips, "It seems they were all cheated of some marvelous experience,"

"Which is not going to go wasted on me,"

"Which is why I am telling you about it."

Rose squealed excitedly and attacked me with a huge hug, "You did it!" She squealed.

Her breath on my neck sent a shiver through me, as did the unexpected contact. I haven't gotten a genuine hug in... Well, forever. There was an unfamiliar emotion clawing it's way into my heart and scared the fuck out of me. I hesitantly wrapped my arms around her smaller frame, not really sure if I should return the hug or just wait it out.

"We did it." I corrected her.

She tried to pull away but I wasn't really ready to let go yet. I tightened my hold on her and she didn't protest. She just held me tighter. It felt...good, but so strange.

"That was great, Jay," I finally let go of her to see her face. "That was so believable. I actually felt the emotion behind your words."

"I could say the same for you. That was pretty impressive. Then again you're a perfectionist, so it's only right."

"Was that a compliment?" She cocked an eyebrow at me.

I shook my head, teasing her. "No, I don't it was."

"Yes... I think it was. In your own Jayden way," She laughed.

"Yeah yeah. Don't let it go to your head," I smirked.

"Wouldn't dream of it," She grinned back.