Chapter Twenty Three, Thanksgiving part Four

Not So Bad After All
Book One
Chapter Twenty Three
Thanksgiving, Part Four
Jayden's POV

___________________

"Thanks for inviting me. The food was amazing," I said to Rose's mother.

"Oh honey, of course. Any time," She smiled and hugged me.

I stiffened a little and hugged her back awkwardly, not sure where I should place my hands. It kind of felt like the hugs my mom used to give me when I was younger but a little... warmer.

I know my mom loves me but I was always so unsure when it came to her hugs... My father basically sucked most of the affection out of her throughout the years. She was just his numb puppet who can only speak when spoken to now and she's slowly drinking her way to herself into an early grave. I sometimes think that's her goal. The only way she can escape my father is in death... What a family right? Nothing compared to Rose's, though. What it must've been like to grow up with hugs like this.

Roses' father entered the entryway and eyed me sternly as he approached.

"Sir," I offered my hand to shake. He took it and shook it harder than I expected. "Thank you for having me. I had a great time."

"No problem. It seems like you and Rose are getting closer... I guess I can expect to see your face around here more, huh?"

"Yes, sir. I hope so. If Rose keeps me around," I nodded.

"If she keeps you around, huh?" He repeated.

He was trying to intimidate me the way all fathers do when it comes to their daughters. I know this routine by now.

But for the first time in my life, my intentions with someone's daughter were pure. That felt strange to me but good at the same time. There was no acting involved today.

"Yes, sir."

"She's a good friend to you?"

"Yes, sir. The best," I nodded.

"So I guess I don't have to worry about anything happening to my baby girl when she's with you, right?"

"You don't have to worry about a thing. As long as she's with me, I can assure you that she'll always be safe," I assured him.

I wasn't lying either.

"Alright," He nodded. "I'm gonna take your word for it."

"Oh, leave him alone, will You? Stop badgering the poor boy. Jayden's a good boy. I'm sure we can trust him," Rose's Mom smiled at me.

"It's not him I'm worried about. It's his parents who I don't trust."

Can't blame him for that...

"You're being rude!" She elbowed her husband in his arm. "I'm sorry Jayden."

"No, it's okay. I understand. My folks are... not right. They're hard to get along with. Trust me, I know that better than anyone," I told them.

I could say a few other things about my folks but I decided against it... Trash talking someone has never solved any problems

"Understatement," He shook his head.

"All I ask is for you to judge me for me. Not by who my family is and how they act, sir,"

"Okay, we'll see," He nodded and held his hand out for me to shake again.

I shook it and said, "Goodnight. Thank you again for inviting me."