Chapter Fourteen

Not So Bad After All
Books One
Chapter Fourteen
Rose's Pov
_________________

"Hey babe," Ryan greeted.

"Hey," I half-smiled.

"I know you're still mad at me but, a bunch of us thought it would be dope to have couples night tonight. You down?"

"Oh? You mean that you actually wanna spend time with me?" I asked faking like I was surprised.

"Of course, I wanna spend time with you Rose. I've just been caught up in my own shit lately. I realized that nothing is more important than you. I'm trying to make it up to you," He gave me a charming smile.

He hasn't said anything like that to me in a long time. It made me feel good. "Really?"

Then I remembered something Jayden said to me.

"He is always trying to make up for something stupid that he did..."

"Yeah! You know I love you," He smiled and kissed me. "So we're going out tonight. Dress nice!"

"You'd be loved and would never ever go to sleep at night wondering if I love you or not."

Jayden's words from last night rang in my head like warning bells.

"Okay," I said before Ryan jogged away to catch up with his friends.

As much as this kills me to say, so far Jayden has been right.

After school was over I waited around for Ryan because he promised to take me to work since he didn't have football practice today. He wasn't answering my phone calls or my text messages. When the school parking lot was close to being empty I gave up. I looked stupid just standing here waiting for him, so I started walking.

Leaving the school's parking lot, a familiar black Lexus pulled up beside me.

Jayden...

He rolled the passenger side window down. "Get in," He demanded.

"I have work. We'll study later, or tomorrow," I told him, my mood clearly sour.

"Did I ask you that? Get in the car," He demanded again.

I narrowed my eyes at him suspiciously, but I hesitantly got in anyway.

"You do know that we don't have football practice today, right?" He informed me.

"Yup, I know," I bit my lip as I felt my nose begin to burn. A tell tale sign that tears were coming.

"So, why isn't your boyfriend who has a car, not driving you to work?" He asked annoyed.

My eyes began to burn next. I shrugged. "He promised he would but I guess he has better things to do."

Jayden glanced over at me, noticing my red eyes and nose. He shook his head as if he were disappointed in Ryans' actions too.

"Where do you work?" He asked, changing the conversation.

"At Lorie's."

"The diner slash coffee shop place on River Street?" He asked surprised.

"You know about that place?"  That surprised me.

Not many people our age knew about it. Don't get me wrong, it's a popular place for travelers and drifters but it sure wasn't like a Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks. No where a fancy rich boy adventures to. It was in the perfect spot for travelers but then there were the people who liked the diner so much that they became our regulars.