Ready to Go (Edited)

I couldn't take my eyes off of my babies. I had just had a heck of a time breastfeeding. It's not as easy trying to get two babies onto both of your breast at exactly the same. They were currently sleeping when I heard a knock at the door. Considering that I'm supposed to be leaving today, I should be dressed. I'm not. I'm exhausted and still in my hospital gown in the bed. I guess this is new motherhood or my version of it.

"Come in," I said.

To my surprise, it's Vanessa. She had rattles in her hands. She pressed on a shy smile. "May I come in?"

I nodded, checking my sleeping angels. I am obsessed at seeing the rise and fall of their chests. I remember high school where I learned about Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. I'm not letting them out of my sight for months.

She stepped in pausing near the twins and touching their little feet. She pulled a chair up to my bedside. "Um, thanks for seeing me. They're precious. I always wanted to be a mom. I envy you."

"You don't-"

Sh cut me off. "Please, let me say this. If I don't get it out now then I never will."

Well, at least it was just the two of us. "Please continue," I replied, softly.

"When Logan and I met, I was in my early twenties. I was already a super model and had my own money. I told everyone we were trying. They say to wait a year before getting medical attention. I did. Logan and I were both tested. They grouped us in the twenty percentile of unexplained infertility. Year after year, test after test.

"The two of us even tried a surrogate. The fertilized egg never grew. We went to the Life Clinic as our ninth try to fertilize our egg and then that failed and they told me to stop. I can no longer attempt to be a mom. The funny part is I've had an abortion before I met him. You sow what you reap, I suppose.

"Then you come in. You're young, fit, attractive, and pregnant with Logan's dream child-children. I would have traded my soul to be in your shoes. Countless nights I've cried, and you were impregnated on accident. I thought the world was having a laugh at my expense.

"I felt Logan begin to slip away from me. He whisked you away from home. He cared for you. I was furious when I saw the contract he made for you. It was so out of character for him. I know because when we began dating, he demanded that I take care of my share of everything. Did you know that?"

I shook my head.

Vanessa continued. "So, I was a little upset when he just handed you so much. I see the way he looks at you. I thought that if I had the babies he'd look at me like he does you. I still think that. I haven't changed my mind. I'd die for what you have. Don't think I don't know what you're up to; naming his child after him.

"Logan told me about the kiss you two shared. Oh yes, he confessed. He said it was best if we took some time apart. I am not going to allow you to take away my husband. I have been the doting wife because I refuse to let him think he can have you.

"I will seduce him as I've always done. I will take your children because I would rather die than let you have what is mine by right."

I figured I had two choices: Scream my head off until someone got here and kicked her out or insult and physically assault her. I have babies now. I chose option three. "If you're finished with your tirade then get the hell out."

She smiled standing up, pausing at my children once more so she could drop the rattles off near them. They couldn't even hold the things, yet. She opened the door and Logan was standing there. The look on his face suggested he heard ever single word. Vanessa attempted to cover herself. "Logan, I wanted to see the twins."