Reader X Russia: Sunset

Photography class, one of the best ways to end your day at school. All you basically did was spend you time editing or taking photos, it was nice.

The teacher always assigned a lot of projects over the week but they just came easy to you. For example, the project you would have to do this weekend is catch a picture of the sunset, simple, right?

Once she said what you'd have to do you had the perfect idea of what would be the perfect place to catch that perfect shot. But  of course, someone had the same idea as you. Ivan.

You didn't know much about him, he always wore a scarf in class no matter what the season and he always shot very alluring photos. His photos almost perfectly match his personality: quiet, simple, mysteriously attractive.

You and Ivan hardly ever talked, the one time you talked to him was to ask if your ISO was right.

But as you walked to the empty park, and as you set up on top of the plastic rooftop over the slides, you saw him coming, his scarf fluttering behind him.

As he came closer you waved, but returned to focusing on your camera.

You could hear the squeaking of his shoes as he came up closer to your post.

"Uh, ___, you do know that the sun starts setting in about 2 hours, yes?"

You nod. "I just wanted to get here before anyone else, this is the perfect spot."

"Do you mind if I?" Ivan gestures to the camera, you nod and move over.

As he peers into the view finder of the camera he smiles.

"If I wasn't so nice I would totally just take your spot. Your photo will look beautiful."

Your face flushes a little, you've never gotten a compliment like that.

"You think so?"

"Of course, any who, how do you even know of  this place?" He laughs, "do you usually sit atop of playground roofs?"

His laugh was so heartfelt, it was almost relaxing.

"Well... kinda. Let's just say some terrible past dates have happened. All of them resulting with the date asker on the ground."

"You pushed them off?" Ivan's
Eyes widen. "And I thought I was cruel..."

You blush once again. "Well- no, it's more like uh..." You struggled to make it sound like you weren't an asshole, "All of them wanted to kiss me and I basically said no."

"Ah, I see."

You were really hoping Ivan couldn't notice the red in your face.

After a while of silence Ivan set up his camera relatively close to you, but since  he turned out to be a nice guy, you didn't mind.

You both continued talking and found out more about him. He was very fond of sunflowers which would make sense considering a lot of his pictures were of flowers.

"You really do act like your photos."

"What does that mean?"

"Well," you struggled to find the words, "all of your photos are very calm and almost relaxing and kind. That fits your personality, doesn't it?"

He smiles at you, "That's very kind of you to say, thank you."

"Of course." You return to your camera and back comes the alluring quiet of absolute focus.

Once the sun is finally set, both of you are sitting in darkness, packing up your things.  As you both are walking out of the park, he holds out his phone, open to contacts.

"It was really nice to have a photo buddy, would you want to do this again?"

"Are you asking me out on a date?"

He laughed, "As long as you don't push me off the playground."

You took Ivan's phone and put your phone number into his phone.

Later as you were looking over your photos your phone started to beep, when you checked it you saw a sunflower emoji.