Chapter 20: Valentine's Day

Start from the beginning

What do you wanna do??

Then, I head to Bryn's text:

Hey, I need new books. Suggestions???

I reply:

Right now, I'm reading 'Carve the Mark' by Veronica Roth. It's a sci-fi novel if you want something like that. Get it. 

Before attacking the group chat, I open Kim's messages:

I have friends over today so please go busy yourself with your little friends.

Okay?

I almost laugh out loud. I text back:

No way am I leaving U here alone.

Keep dreaming.

I quickly get a reply:

COME ON! I HAVEN'T HAD ANY FRIENDS OVER SINCE FOREVER!

Did you have to rat out Carole?

Emma: Um...be thankful I didn't rat U out!

Kim: Whatever

Emma: I'm home all day today. Deal with it. :))

Kim: BUT IT IS FRIGGIN VALENTINE'S DAY!

OH MY FRIGGIN GOSH! I TOTALLY FORGOT!

Emma: Does it seem like I care?

(LOL, I surprise myself by how chill I seem sometimes when I'm actually internally screaming.)

I don't get a response over the last text. Since I'm stuck home all day babysitting Kim, might as well have the date here. I text Eddie (who still hasn't seen my messages):

Look, Kim wants to invite friends over and I don't trust her whatsoever.

Mind if the date happens at my house?

I go downstairs to the kitchen. Mom seemed to entreat Aunt Maya about something. When I went in, she stopped begging about whatever she was asking about. "Good morning Mom, good morning Aunt Maya," I say and sit at the kitchen table.

"Good morning sweetie," Mom says, and Aunt Maya smiles at me.

"Happy Valentine's Day," Aunt Maya smiles widely — she's upset. Her smile gives it away. It's sad how she could have celebrated it with her husband (now ex), but she can't.

"What were you guys talking about?" I casually ask. I get up and reach for the cereal from the cupboard.

"Maya and I were just reliving an anecdote from our past," Mom answers.

LIES, LIES, LIES, LIES.

But I let it go, "Oh, okay..." Mom smiles warmly at me. I put the cereal box on the table and head to the fridge for the milk.

"Well, I have to go. I have a job interview at 11:30. Bye," Aunt Maya says. She waves to us and leaves the kitchen. Mom sighs and gets me a bowl.

I pour my cereal then milk into the bowl. I sit down at the table and start eating. Mom sits across me. "Emma," She says after a while, "Can I tell you a secret?"

I almost spit out my food. Mom never asks me that! Something serious must be up! Maybe she needs to talk desperately about something? Why can't she talk to Dad? Oh wait, he's on a business trip. Right...my bad, I forgot! "Of course, Mom," I say, my voice a bit too excited. I really, really wanna know what is up.

Mom gets up and guides me to the backyard. I point to my cereal bowl to indicate that I'm still eating. "Just leave it here, you can finish it later," She tells me and goes out from the backdoor.