Chapter 8: "Emma, be honest"

》》》

I showed him all his classrooms. He has Math, Geography, History and English with me. Why does it have to be that many subjects? It's gonna be really awkward to see him once he abandons me for the popular group. Yes, I'm still paranoid about that! Like, I'm a huge dork! Who likes dorks other than other dorks? No one! I'm a huge nobody.

Plus, it's Shawn Mendes we're talking about. Once everyone will discover that he goes to GWHS, they're literally never going to leave him alone.

I can imagine it from now. People screaming over and over again: "Shawn, take a picture with me!" "Shawn, I love you!" "Shawn sign me an autograph!"

I can imagine the huge crowd around him. The popular girls will try to win his heart. The whole school will try to win his heart!

"Emma?" Shawn waved a hand in front of my face, breaking me from my reverie.

"Yeah, Shawn?" I ask.

"Can we stop acting, I need to talk about something," Shawn says with a serious expression on his face. Did I do something?

"Yeah, sure, about what?"

"When you first saw me, why didn't you right away ask for a picture or an autograph or for my number?" He asks and looks me straight in the eyes.

I'm a bit taken aback. "Shawn..." I trail off. Why didn't I anyway? I freaked out but pretended like it was totally cool. I never do that. It's like I was a completeley different Emma.

"Emma, be honest," he says firmly.

"I...don't know why. I just...I don't know what to answer, Shawn," I finally give in, "I'm sorry."

"It's alright." His voice is calm, but disappointment is practically written on his face. I really wish I had an answer. "But another thing," He continues, "are people going to recognize me and be crazy when they see me."

I smile. "How can they not?" I answer. "People are going to be shitty people whether you like it or not. They will act crazy, be mean, and hurt you, but what can you do about it, right?"

He chuckles. "You're right," he answers. "I'm just scared of what will happen when the classes are over."

"Me too, to be honest," I say, "you're a great friend, I don't want to lose you." And I meant that statement so much my heart hurt.