Chapter 20: Valentine's Day

I wake up on February 14, which is a Saturday. I check my alarm clock — 10:12AM. Oh, how I love Saturdays. The day where I get to hang out with my friends and just...chill.

Things have been pretty tense in the house. Kim and I can't stand each other. Ugh, understatement of the year! We practically despise each other! My mom and Aunt Maya have been trying to get us to get along better, to fix things between us. But, honestly, I doubt anyone can fix things.

Things at school are improving. I'm getting less dirty stares and more warm, understanding smiles.

Shawn showed up on Wednesday. He had to get an emergency flight for his career. When we were in the park, he got the call from his manger telling him to rush to his office, so he did. Then, he went into the airplane a day later. He was super busy and didn't have time to answer the texts or calls. I'm just happy he's okay.

Eddie and I are great. He's an amazing boyfriend. The thing is, he still hasn't asked me to be his Valentine! I never really thought or remembered about Valentine's Day until Sarah brought it up yesterday at lunch. I hope he asks me soon!

But is being his girlfriend automatically makes me his Valentine?

UGH.

I lay in bed for a while, staring at the ceiling. Should I get up? My phone beeps with texts. I must say, after everything it seems like I have more friends. Bryn and I don't talk much anymore since our schedules are kinda different — except when we have a free period together, we go study together in the library and talk about books, movies...

But I had met other people. Random people telling me I was so brave to show my face at school and do all this drama to fix things with a friend. That I was stronger than I thought. Stuff like that.

It's actually all really touch me. It's just...they don't know the full story. I wanna expose Kim, honestly.

OMG! HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN TO ADD?! GUESS WHAT, CAROLE IS SUSPENDED FOR A WEEK FOR BULLYING!

They still didn't trace the article writer (though I'm 110% sure it's Carole. Like, duh!), but Eddie convinced me to tell my parents about what happened. My parents told the principal, who on Monday suspended Carole. I had, of course, left out the part where Kim was helping her because:

Her mom already has enough problems with finding a job/house...

I hope she'll change. Like, really, really, really hope!

I DIDN'T EVEN GET A THANK YOU FROM KIM!

Carole-free school has been AH-MAZING! I wish she would just change school, to be honest.

My phone beeps again and again and I finally reach over my bedside table and grab it. I lie again in bed and see my notifications. Over fifty texts from the group chat 'TANKS' (another inside joke — don't ask) that has me, Sarah, Chloe and Brian, a text from Bryn, three texts from Eddie, and two texts from Kim.

Kim and I are mostly communicating through texting these days. Helps control our anger because every time we talk, it always ends with us screaming at each other like lunatics.

I first open the texts from Eddie:

Hey, baby.

Good morning❤️

How about we have a little date today?

I internally swoon. I can feel a smile of joy curl on my lips. I type in a reply:

Good morning❤️

YAS

I'm always down for a date with you!!!!!!