Chapter 3: "It's my favorite song"

"So...mind giving me a tour when we get there?" Asks Shawn, hope in his eyes.

"Sure," I say, but I don't really look forward to it, since I know he'll never speak to me the moment he knows how unpopular I really am.

Then we stare into each other's eyes again.

He's too cute. It's killing me. I yawn and he laughs, "You look so cute when you yawn," he says.

DID SHAWN MENDES JUST SAY I WAS CUTE WHEN I YAWNED?! NO BOY HAS EVER TOLD ME THAT!

I laugh. "Yeah, right."

"I mean it!"

"Sure, you do."

"What's up? I know I just met you, but I can tell you're pissed off."

Ugh, I didn't mean to be mean.

"I...it's nothing." Deciding it's preferable not to tell him.

"Fine, don't tell me," He looks out the window.

Then there is silence. An awkward one, I may add.

I hate awkward silences

"What time is it?" I ask him.

"7..." He trails off and looks at his watch, "30."

"WHAT!? WE'RE LATE! I CAN'T BE LATE! I HATE DETENTION!" I freak out.

I HATE DETENTION.

He laughs. "Relax! I'll just tell the principal there was traffic and that you lead the way to school."

"You'd do that?" I ask, grateful.

"Sure, you're my friend."

SHAWN MENDES JUST CALLED MY HIS FRIEND!

I'm dying on the inside.

"Ugh, I have Math right now," I complain.

I AM COMPLAINING TO SHAWN MENDES.

I should chill. Like, he's a normal human being like me. He isn't that different. He isn't a God or something.

Except that he's the handsome. And he can sing, like, really well. And he has the ability to write songs.

He's perfect.

He's Shawn Mendes.

He laughs. "How's the teacher like?"

I LOVE HIS LAUGH.

"Oh, Miss Rose, well... She can be strict at times, but mostly she jokes around. But if you're late... Let's just say you'll never forget that day. Oh, and never, and I mean like never ever, let her catch you passing notes."

He laughs again. "Wow. She sounds...interesting."

And we both crack up.

Wow...look at me...making fun of my teachers...with Shawn Mendes...

Shawn is really damn easy to talk to. I did not expect this at all. I feel so weird: laughing with Shawn about Mrs. Rose.

If this is a dream, I never want to wake up.

"So...what school did you go to before?" I ask, as if I don't know he's been homeschooled most of his whole life.

"I've been homeschooled all my life. Until now anyway," He echoes my thoughts, "wait...you're humming 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' You like that song?"

Oops, I haven't realized I've been humming out loud!

"Yeah, it's..." I trailed off.

"It's what?"

"It's one of my favorite songs," I replied looking up at him. I saw this huge grin on his face, like he was glad I loved it.

SHAWN MENDES IS GLAD I LIKE HIS SONG!

And then there is silence while I freak out a little bit inside.