the first lost girl

Start from the beginning

My dad continues to beat her, he was absolutely senseless. Is this what she stayed for? Is this really love? I always pondered this. I hear him grunt satisfied and exhaled a shaky breath. It was only a matter of time before I was the next target of pent up anger needing to be let out. What happened if I died? He would have to find another punch bag to take his anger out on. That is all I am to him, a useless punch bag. Why does it have to be this way? How are people so happy? I've never felt more alone in my entire existence.

I remembered a myth, where you stand with your window open, if you say "I believe" a shadow will come and take you to a better place, but you had to be lost and not want to be found. I sounded absolutely daft. But I had to try.Personally, hell sounds better then here. Or somewhat equivalent to my position right now, maybe I could finally belong if this worked.

I climb out onto the roof. The wind stung my eyes, it was brutal. I could see my mothers cold fragile body dead plastered in my mind. I shuddered and squeezed my eyes shut as the breeze whipped my eyes. It was only a matter of time before he came to murder me as well.

"I believe" I say whispering. Cold tears threatened to spill across my cheeks, again.

A minute passed. Nothing happened, the trees shook with the force of the wind. I shouldn't be quite astonished though. There was no such thing as happy endings or 'good'. I knew that much about the world, how can people be so optimistic all the time? My life is a series of villains ad hushed tones, helpless, there is only bad people and those to weak to seek, it blinded by their own blindness of what they consider good in this cold world. Myths and fairytales are simply false pretensions of "hope" I can't seem to believe there could be good when so much of the world is suffering, how is that fair? How is making the best of the situation considered good?

Suddenly a dark figure hovers over me, the wind was still, I could not make out any face, just a shadow. It grabs my hand. And pulls me with an unmistakable force, and the wind howls vigorously. Perhaps I was heading towards a better place, or a place better than here, even by a margin. Maybe it was just an illusion. Maybe I just dreaming, but anything was better. Anything.

We soar over the ocean shivers from the cold breeze whipped at me, but I realized how is this even possible? Where was this strange shadow taking me?

"Who are you?" I said biting my lip.

No reply.

"Where are you taking me?" I said again.

Again all was still.

I struggled out of it's grip. Thrashing and struggling.

Suddenly it dropped me, and I was sent plummeting towards the cool waters.

And I held my breath.

*****************************************************************************************************

I wake up on a beach. It's fairly dark outside. I hear whispers but I don't get up. It smelled like sea salt and rotting fish.

"Why did my shadow bring a girl here?" my eyes snap open. I find myself looking at a boy, with brown hair and green catlike eyes that glimmered mischievously. The ocean waves crashed against the shores,  I was on an island, that had this grim feeling to it.I had an odd conception about where I was, and a pit formed in my stomach.

"Who are you? Where am I?" I ask groggily.

"Oh did I forget to introduce myself? I'm Peter, Peter Pan, welcome to Neverland." He says with an odd cocky grin.

At that point I burst out laughing it actually worked? I was probably having a deranged dream, that I would wake up back in the tiny house with- my father. The events from yesterday flooded through my mind and I sent a silent angel looking to help my mother, and that my 'father' get's sent to jail forever. To stray my mind away from the topic that I've always tried to stray from, I thought of the myths.