» Chapter Sixteen «

Start from the beginning

      He flicked her with his tail. "Slow poke."

      Kestrelfur couldn't think of a smart reply, so she cuffed him on the ear with a sheathed paw. He grinned and cuffed her back.

      Waspfang looked charming in the moonlight. His eyes were lit up and his whiskers were crooked. His ginger pelt looked darker like a hungry flame, and his stripes looked like pits of darkness. But somehow all that made Kestrelfur's heart flutter more.

      "I'm gonna show you something cool," he said with a flick of his ear. The wind blew so hard Kestrelfur almost didn't hear him. He stood up and started bouncing, making the branch lurch.

      "Could you stop?" asked Kestrelfur. "The branch might snap."

      Waspfang didn't reply. He started hollering out. "Whoo! Come out! Come out!"

      Kestrelfur was about to ask what he was doing, when she heard the sound of flapping above her. She looked up to see small creatures with white wings flying off into the night—moths.

      "That's cool," said Kestrelfur.

      "Yeah," said Waspfang, who stopped bouncing and hollering. "But you haven't seen nothin' yet."

      He launched himself down the tree, and Kestrelfur followed him, not nearly as graceful. On the ground, Waspfang launched himself into the bushes and started hollering again. The sound of fluttering wings could be heard. Tiny creatures started flying out.

      "What?" asked Kestrelfur. Waspfang either didn't hear or didn't care; he kept running and shouting.

      Suddenly thousands of moths appeared, storming out of the bushes all at once. They created a beautiful wall of snowy white, and the soft sound of rain. There were more moths then she could count. In fact, Kestrelfur hadn't realized there were so many moths in the whole forest.

      And through the wall of white wings, Waspfang suddenly appeared next to her, grinning happily.

      "Wow," said Kestrelfur.

      Waspfang flicked an ear. "Yeah, I know."

      A few more moths went fluttering by.

      Waspfang leaned forward. "There is a whole nest of moths somewhere nearby—maybe two. I thought I'd show you them."

      "Hmm," said Kestrelfur with a smile.

      Suddenly a huge white moth appeared and landed on Waspfang's nose. It fluttered its wings a little, and Waspfang gave a startled jump. "It tickles."

      Kestrelfur laughed and gave him a shove, the moth flying away as she did so.

      They looked into each other's eyes, sparks tingling under their pelts. Sparks surged under Kestrefur's pelt so hard that for a second she forgot where she was, who she was. She flew off through the air into someplace distant. When she slowly came back to reality, her muzzle was pressed into Waspfang's.

      Kestrelfur felt like her mind sharpen, waking up again. Sparks surged under her fur. She could see three small kits, two looking like Waspfang and one looking like her. She could hear them shouting, "Mommy! Daddy!"

      Then her mind calmed. The whole forest opened up around her. She could hear the buzz of every insect, smell every mouse. She could hear paws thrumming somewhere far away. She felt like the forest itself.

      Waspfang appeared in front of her, and she landed back in reality again. He felt warm and soft; she could hear his quiet heartbeat.

      They disconnected their muzzles, and Waspfang gave her a friendly lick on her cheek.

      In the distance they could see the sun starting to rise, the first hint of dawn.

      "I guess we should get back to camp," said Waspfang.

      "Whatever you say," said Kestrelfur, giving him a lick. "Deputy."

      They walked back to camp side by side, their tails entwined together like one. They walked into camp with their pelts brushing.

      "You're dismissed," said Waspfang to the guards, nodding. The silver warrior immediately went for the warriors den, but Cindertooth stayed behind and slowly smiled. "You already found that special she-cat?"

      "We're destined for eachother," said Waspfang flatly. "I already knew I found my special she-cat the moment I saw her."

      Kestrelfur's heart twisted. That comment seemed so romantic and lovey, it was disgusting.

      "Whatever," said Cindertooth with a snort. "Just don't think you're all that now that you were made deputy only days after you were made a warrior."

      Cindertooth stalked off. Waspfang and Kestrelfur silently followed him into the warriors' den.

      "Do you believe in StarClan?" asked Kestrelfur curiously as she layed down in her nest.

      Waspfang shrugged. "I'm not sure. Obviously there's some destiny for us, but is it from StarClan? A group of magical dead cats is just hard to believe."

      "But they sent you an omen, right?" said Kestrelfur uncertainly. Waspfang shrugged. "I guess... they kinda did."

      Kestrelfur rested her muzzle on her paws. "I'm not sure either. I kind of have my doubts."

      Kestrelfur always had a hard time believing in StarClan. They just seemed like kit tales.

      But then she thought back to her dream of Briarwing. Was it real, was it StarClan reaching out to her? Or was it just a dream her troubled mind created? It seemed fuzzy now, all the detail gone. That was a sign it was probably just a dream.

      With these thoughts, she slowly and gently closed her eyes, feeling the world fade around her.

      Then she was in deep sleep.

A/N::

Any predictions? I'd love to hear in the comments! And don't forget to vote if you enjoy :3

//Edited