Chapter 42

When he pulled away, he rested his forehead on mine. “Fuck, I’ve missed you.”

“I didn’t go anywhere,” I reminded him.

“I know,” he shrugged. “But not speaking to you was hell. There was no-one to remind me to show up on time.”

“You were late like, once.” I rolled my eyes.

“One time too many.”

“Why were you late that day?” I frowned, pulling away to look up at him. “Were you fighting?”

He shook his head. “No. I wouldn’t break a promise to you.”

“Did you…” I shook my head, trailing off. “No.”

He looked at me curiously. “Did I what?”

“It’s stupid.”

“Tell me.”

“No.”

“Please.”

“No.”

“Brenna.”

“Don’t worry!”

“Please?”

“Were you with another girl?” I questioned, and his face fell.

“Do you really think I’d do that?”

“No, I didn’t… That. No, that came out wrong.”

“I didn’t see anyone. I don’t care what you think happened between us, to me, I was still with you.”

“Dan thought we broke up.”

“Dan can go fuck himself.”

“Language! And don’t be mean.”

“Sorry.”

“Aw, you two are so fucking cute, aren’t you?” I jumped at the voice and Harry tensed, turning his head towards the voice. Nicholas. He looked scruffier than the last time I had seen him, which had been a while.

“Oh for fuck’s sake,” Harry cursed.

“Tut, tut. What did your girlfriend say about language? She is your girlfriend, right?” Nicholas taunted, not moving.

“Yes, is there a problem?” Harry sneered, pushing me behind him gently. I gritted my teeth.

“I knew it. She’s a bitch, you know. A lot feistier than the usual lot. And she seems to be sticking by you.”

“Hey, why don’t you come here and fucking--” Harry began, but I cut him off.

“Don’t let him win.” I whispered.

“Wouldn’t be surprised if I was infertile after the knee she gave me.” His eyes fell on mine. I refused to let him win.

“Good, you deserve it, you arse.”

“I see Harry’s been rubbing off on you.”

“What’s it to you?”

“He’s not a good influence, is he now? Druggie.”

“Druggie?” I looked at Harry, watching his jaw get tenser by the minute. Nicholas was trying to provoke him. And it was working.

“Oh, yeah. Marijuana.”

“He’s lying, isn’t he?” I asked Harry, who kept his eyes on Nicholas.

Suddenly, a pair of flashing lights invaded my vision, accompanied with a siren. The police. The police were here? For who? Fear took over my body as I watched Harry; Nicholas completely forgotten as Harry stepped back.