one hundred and nine ; tj

there are certain moments when josh really hates being bothered. he practically lives with his phone in his hand, but sometimes he wants to throw the damn thing against a wall.

he feels this way when his phone starts ringing in the middle of the night as he's sleeping soundlessly, half on top of mia with his head on her chest. the sounds of her heartbeat always calms him down just enough to be able to put him to sleep, and when mia runs her fingers through his hair with the right mix of pressure and gentleness, it's only a matter of minutes before josh is out for the count.

his phone buzzes obnoxiously on top of the bedside table. the loud, insistent sound brings josh out of a peaceful dream of nursery rhymes and lullabies.

"shut up," groans the sleepy male, picking his head up from mia's chest. he's not all that upset about being woken up but he's pissed that now his girl is too.

half asleep, mia whimpers and nudges josh away. "answer it," she mumbles. the sheets rustle as she rolls over towards the wall and pulls the thick blanket over her shoulders. josh is normally her main source of warmth when they sleep, so the blanket doesn't really feel as comforting. but she just wants to sleep so for now it works.

josh rubs at his temples, a headache coming his way, and grabs his phone. through his fuzzy vision he sees tyler's name on the screen.

"what's up, dude?" he clears his throat as his voice comes out low and groggy.

"josh! are you up?! wake up!"

he has to hold his phone a few inches away from his ear at the excitement and urgency of tyler's voice. "i'm up, i'm up. what's with the wakeup call?"

tyler sucks in a deep breath, preparing himself before he says, "tommy joseph is up to bat!"

only josh would understand that this is tyler's way of saying jenna is in labor.

"oh my gosh!" by now, josh has forgotten all his grievances of being waken up. he reaches over to mia and shakes her shoulder. "hey, jenna's having the baby."

she makes a sleepy noise that josh can't really understand, but he figures it translates to her excitement.

"text me the hospital you're at," he says to tyler, running his fingers through his messy curls. "we'll meet you there."

"okay, sick!" tyler replies. "see you soon."

josh hangs up and climbs out of his and mia's bed. "m'turning on the lights," he says, giving mia a heads up before flicking the light switch. he does this because he knows she hates the lights being turned on when she's trying to sleep, and he has a better shot of dealing with a happy mia when he warns her before doing it.

she whines in protest.

"i know," he says. "i'm tired too. but our godson is on his way into the world, so we gotta go to the hospital."

sleepily, mia rubs at her eyes and pushes herself into a sitting position. as she's doing so, josh walks over to the side of the bed and holds a hand out to help her up.

"c'mon love," he smiles softly at her and kisses her forehead as she takes his hand and gets out of bed.

mia leans into his chest for a moment, just enjoying how warm he is. this is where she feels most comforted and loved.

josh rubs her back, feeling the warmth radiating from her skin. "this is exciting, huh? going to the hospital to see a baby."

"mhm," she replies. when she steps back, a small yawn passing her lips, the first thing she does is find a pair of pants to wear.