seventy eight ; with the white vans

"good luck," mia tells josh with a big, proud smile as they stand backstage at the large venue in milan, italy. twenty one pilots are up to play - the crowd screaming with anticipation. just as mark had predicted, it was another sold out show. all the shows on the tour had been sold out, for that matters

it's the second to last stop in the european tour and mia can start to see how worn down josh is getting. he won't say anything or admit to being tired because, well, because he's josh. he tells himself that he can't be tired, not when he has shows to play.

a soft, half-hearted smile twitches at the corners of josh's lips. he kisses mia's forehead and hugs her tight to his chest. "thanks, doll. i'll play good for you, promise."

"play good for yourself," mia dejects, pulling back from his embrace enough to poke his chest. "for the fans. for tyler."

he rolls his eyes. "but i wanna play good for you, too. you're my number one girl."

she stares at him with disbelief. "you could literally have the worst show of your life and screw everything up and i'd still be incredibly proud of you."

this makes josh grin. "i love you," he tells mia with a slow shake of his head. how he managed to score someone like her boggles his mind.

"te quiero para siempre," replies mia while running her hands over his broad shoulders, smoothing out his white tee shirt that she knows will be drenched in sweat by the time the first song is over.

josh tsks a bit under his breath at her hypocrisy. usually josh is the one to throw around the 'forever' aspect of their love, and mia is the one who rolls her eyes. "forever is a long time," he reminds her, which is something that mia's said to him on multiple occasions.

"i know," she says back, eyes blinking up to meet his. "and it's awfully cliche but i don't care. we can have a forever within limited days."

his nose crinkles. "the fault in our stars? really, mia?"

"it was a good movie!"

"eh, it was okay."

"says the one who cried not once - but four times," mia sasses while raising an eyebrow at josh.

he blushes - almost the same color as the red makeup around his eyes. "cause it was really sad, of course i'm gonna cry. gus was a good guy."

"you're such a dork," she says with an amused grin. out of the corner of her eyes she sees that tyler is about to come over to get josh so they can perform, so she gives him one last quick kiss and steps back. "rock on, loser."

he holds up both of his hands and makes the rock n'roll signals while sticking his tongue out. when tyler grabs him by the collar of his shirt and pulls him towards the stage, josh grins.

once the beginning of heavydirtysoul plays out through the sound system, the crowd erupts in overwhelming applause. the excitement is contagious.

"daaammmnn, daniel! back at it again with the white vans!"

mia looks over her shoulder with a bored, unamused expression.

"fuck off, wentz," she says while shaking her head.

the aforementioned grins in response while looking up from his phone. "oh c'mon, you can't just wear white vans and expect me not to say something about it."

mia glances down at her high top sneakers. "they're not even the same vans from the vine - you walking meme."

"close enough," dismisses pete with a wave of his hand. "d'you wanna see the video or not?"

the brunette sighs with defeat. "yeah, show me."

he holds up his phone to her, displaying the snapchat video of him walking up to her from behind and zooming in on her white, high top vans. this isn't the third time pete has done this to mia - every time he sees her wearing those shoes he gasps happily and opens up snapchat to record a parody of the stupid vine trend.

"that's stupid," mia shakes her head. she's trying hard not to laugh, but the grin on her face isn't doing a good job at hiding that.

pete scoffs. "you're stupid."

she blinks, not phased. "what's your point?"

he grins. "my point is that--"

"daaammmnn, daniel!"

both mia and pete roll their eyes as brendon walks over to them, phone in hand.

"too late, forehead," says pete. "i already beat you to it."

the singer groans. "fuck, not again!"

"what are you even doing?" asks mia while glancing at brendon's phone.

"scopin'," answers brendon while flipping the camera over so the view is on his face. he holds his arm out between pete and mia and grins. "say hello, children!"

mia sticks her tongue out at the camera.

"hello, children!" pete says like the lil shit he is, waving excitedly.

brendon rolls his eyes through the lenses of his glasses. "ha. very funny."

mia glances back out towards the stage, where tyler is running around and grinning from ear to ear while josh slams on his drums, looking like a little boy on christmas.

"my sons are killing it right now," says brendon to 3k viewers on periscope while holding his phone up towards the stage. "they out here, doin' the most."

mia gives him a sideways glare. "you're almost as bad as pete."

"i am the king of memes," says pete, matter-of-a-factly.

the familiar, melodic sounds of tyler's ukulele drones out through the venue. the fans scream with excitement as he begins playing can't help falling in love with you.

josh turns his head, grinning and still out of breath from the last song. he makes eye contact with mia while brushing his fingers through his sweaty, damp pink waves of hair. "i love you," he mouths to her.

she feels her cheeks redden as she smiles back, mouthing, "i love you too."