ninety five ; the towel policy

on valentine's day, mia goes out with luke the doorman to get their nails done.

"i think i have a date tonight," says luke, lips pursed in thought as the nail lady paints a coat of black onto his almond shaped nails.

mia, sitting beside him, frowns with confusion. "you think?"

"well," he sighs. "there's this guy that wants to get dinner - rich business type. he's got gorgeous blue eyes..." luke shakes his head, almost like he's in a trance. "i'm a sucker for blue eyes."

"so why don't you go?" questions mia. her gaze shifts between her half-done nails and luke.

at this, luke seems almost embarrassed to answer. "i'm scared."

mia almost doesn't believe him at first. luke - the man who's always radiated confidence - says he's scared. "of what?"

"people," he says blankly. "i'm not exactly the normal mold, not that i ever cared about any of that, but it matters to some people. and this guy's important, y'know? he's someone."

"so are you," insists mia.

luke rolls his eyes disbelievingly. "i'm a doorman. a fabulously amazing one, but still."

"obviously if this guy likes you, he doesn't care about that," mia says. "so neither should you - just be yourself."

he looks at the brunette beside him with a mixture of realization and adoration. "i always knew you were my favorite. the day you and jenna moved into the apartment and i saw you carrying an entire box of alcohol, that was it."

mia grins. "yeah? did you think 'wow, one day i'm gonna give this girl pot brownies'?"

"okay that was an accident," tsks luke. he moves his hands in front of the small fan on the manicure desk to let his matte black nails dry. "i had made one batch normal and i thought those were the ones i gave you."

"mhm, sure," the black haired girl hums sarcastically in response.

"do you think i would just give away weed? that stuff isn't cheap, you know."

mia rolls her eyes, a small smile on her face. there's a buzz in the pocket of her sweatshirt that brings a hopeful twist to her stomach. using the hand that isn't being painted, she pulls out her phone and sees a new text from josh.

yoshua💕 : just got to the hotel & no show tonight so if you wanna facetime we can

yoshua💕: miss you lots xo

yoshua💕 : oh and also you look really good today

after her eyes scroll through the texts, mia takes a split second to decide what she wants to say before replying.

👑princess mia👑 : you haven't even seen me today

yoshua💕 : don't have to

yoshua💕 : you always look gr9

👑princess mia👑 : thanks dood