one hundred and three ; lost and found

"well," the woman glances down at the papers on her desk and then smiles at the younger brunette seated across from her. "i think you make an excellent candidate for the position."

mia's face lights up eagerly. "really? that's great, thank you. when do you think i'll hear back?"

"probably within a week, if you get the job," she says. her expression softens slightly as she leans forward, lowering her voice before saying, "you've totally got the job, i just have to say that to everyone. you'll get a call like, tomorrow."

"wow, thank you," mia says again, shaking her head with disbelief. "i was actually kind of worried, if i'm being honest. i thought i blew some of those questions."

the hiring manager rolls her eyes playfully. "are you kidding? you were great. we look for people who don't give the same old boring answers."

"so the part when i said 'i fucking love pizza' didn't ruin my interview?"

"nah, i think it made it better," she laughs. "i like you're personality, mia. you seem like you'd be a great addition to the team. and plus, i also fucking love pizza."

this is the kind of boss i wanna work for, mia thinks to herself while a laugh bubbles past her lips. "well, i'll try to act surprised tomorrow when i get offered the job."

"perfect," she stands up from her desk and extends a hand to mia. "i can't wait for you to start."

"me either." mia shakes her hand and then pulls her skirt down a bit. when she had gotten ready that morning for the interview, josh said she looked, in his words, professionally hot.

she picks up her purse and exists the office of the hiring manager, feeling a thousand times better than she did walking in. interviews always make her feel the kind of nervous you get the night before a new school year.

"you're gonna kill it," josh had said, an affirmative smile on his dazzling face as he kissed mia's forehead.

she had let out a shaky breath. "i hope so...i want the job so bad. this would be perfect, you know?"

josh set his hands on top of his wife's shoulders. "mia," he started, his voice silky smooth. "you're incredibly smart and well spoken - even when you think you're being awkward. don't doubt yourself."

she would be lying if she said josh's mini pep talk didn't help.

the cool spring air whips around her as she walks out to the parking lot. the long parka style jacket she wore over her outfit blocks out the majority of the chill, however her legs ate receiving the harsh wind. she quickens her pace.

"where did i even park?" mia mumbles to herself while digging her keys out of her pocket. she's the most forgetful person when it comes to keys, even after josh had organized her key ring for her.

she finally locates her car keys and presses the button to unlock it. she hears the gentle click sound and follows it to her car.

as she looks up, her eyes land on someone whose face makes her stop walking. her expression falls.

"what are you doing here?" mia asks. he's leaning against the side of her car with his hands in the pockets of a calvin klein jacket. his posture is a relic to her brothers.

raul's eyes, warm and intuitive, gaze hopeless at his daughter. "i want to talk to you, amelia."

she huffs out a sigh while taking a step around him to get into the car. "well i don't want to talk to you."

"please," he puts his hand on the handle of the driver's side door. mia sees this and glares up at him indifferently. "you have every right to hate me, but at least give me a chance to explain myself."

"it's funny because i just really don't want to hear anything you have to say," she says stubbornly, shaking her head and reaching for the handle. "move."

"you're so much like your mother," raul sighs. "hard headed, just like her."

mia stops. for some reason, this comment sets her off.

"you don't know me at all."

"i want to, amelia, i-"

"what makes you think i owe you anything?" she accuses.

raul's mouth opens but he doesn't say anything for a moment. he shifts his footing, left without words. "well for one thing i'm your father."

"oh right, like that's so hard to do." mia shakes her head and laughs bitterly. "if you were actually around, maybe you'd know that the word 'dad' means a hell of a lot more. and maybe you'd know that i go by mia, not amelia."

"i named you, did you know that?"

"gee thanks."

raul exhales with exasperation. "look i'm not saying i'm perfect-"

"well i could've told you that."

"all i'm asking for is an hour," he makes an open armed, defeated gesture. "that's it. after then, you can hate me all you want."

her honey brown eyes, the same color as the man she's looking at, blink passively. for a moment she wants to push him away and forget he ever existed, but goddammit, her conscious weighs heavy on her shoulders.

"fine," she nods. "one hour."