26

In a flash I was under the table that I was once sitting at, glass was flying everywhere and there was just pure chaos. I didn't know how else to describe the scene in front of me, my dad and the agents around him had their guns drawn although they were crouching down too.

I faintly registered Jay behind me, hugging me.

No.

Shielding me.

The shots stopped although my ears were still ringing and my heart was still beating unhealthily fast. My eyes were shut tight and I couldn't find the strength the pry them open, I held my knees close to my chest and I wasn't letting go anytime soon. Jay was holding on just as tight, so tightly in fact that it actually hurt but I wasn't going to complain.

"Rain, Jay, get up" We were being shaken and I could easily identify it to be my father's.

"They're in shock Zeke" Another voice said.

I could feel Jay being pried off of me and my eyes snapped open, it took awhile for my eyes to adjust to the flood of light they were suddenly exposed to but when they did I immediately stood up, hitting my head on the table as I did.

I fell back on the floor "Shit" I muttered rubbing my head.

"You okay kid?" A man held his hand out to me and I took it.

"Yeah" I said as he brought me out from under the table.

"What was that?" I looked around.

Shattered glass and bullets lay on the ground all around me "We can only assume that this attack was placed by The Black's, this means that they have eyes on you" 

"What do we do now?" I asked.

"Right now, you go back to the hotel, because you weren't attacked there that means it's safe. You stay there until we catch these guys. You do not leave under any circumstances. I understand this is a lot to ask of you but it's for your own good" 

The room was spinning and I found that I couldn't see straight. Everything has spinout of control and it had me wondering when my life had gotten to this point.

"Fine"

I knew that something bad was going to happen as soon as I left the hotel. I had this terrible nagging feeling that they would try to take me or even kill me and they already tried to kill me.

"Let's go" My dad grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the building with Jay following close behind.

"It's going to be okay Sunshine" He said so only I could hear.

We all got in the car and I noticed that my heart hadn't stopped pounding and there was no way I was getting any sleep tonight. At least unless Jay sleeps with me which he has been doing since we officially got together.

When we got up to the room my dad hugged me "This is all my fault. I started this years ago by doing something I shouldn't have done, hopefully I can fix this before it get's any worse" He nodded towards Jay and left.

It was then that the tears started streaming down my face and I ran into Jay's arms. He held me tightly "You were right, you should have never left this room and I should have listened. I'm so sorry"

"I can't believe you shielded me" I whispered.

He laughed "Really? Of course, I told you that no one would go as far for you, I would die for you"

I shook my head "I don't want you to, I don't want us to be like my parents. Constantly fighting forces to get back to each other, dodging death, killing for each other. That's not the life I want Jay"

"I know baby and it isn't the life I would choose either but it's the life that we have to navigate just like your parents did. We have to do the best we can" He rubs my back.

Maybe he was right.

Maybe everything will be alright.

A/N

Hopefully this wasn't too short, I put out an update on my other book Bending The Rules, I'll try to put out another update on both ASAP.

Follow me for updates, notifications, and cool covers:

Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest: iadorexoiya