chapter 7

Chapter 7

“hello all of you, some of you I know, and some are new, for those who are new, I would like to take a moment to introduce you, this is a dinner and a show, whilst you eat, some of the best ballroom dancers in New York will dance right here on this stage, then you may get up and join them once they have finished, and of course, enjoy the show” he said, backing away as I stared at Andy, wide eyed.

“I didn’t know what else to do, I thought you might like it, it sort of a new craze or something” I smiled back at him, this was amazing, I hadn’t watched ballroom dancing live since I was a little girl, I beamed at him and then at the stage as the first act came on.

The woman was wearing a sparkly outfit and the man a suit, I smiled as they took to the floor, moving so gracefully, I wished I could be like that, I sighed, watching them with a big smile on my face, I looked over at Andy several times to see that he was looking at me.

It took a while for our food to come but I barely even ate, I simply gazed at the dancers chewing on a scrap of lettuce, my plate still piled high, I watched in awe, Andy had done this, Andy, this was crazy, I knew that he was sweet, but I didn’t think that he would do this, I felt bad, he had gone to all this trouble and I hadn’t done anything, but then again I couldn’t.

As I thought back to my house a tear fell down my face, I wiped it away but not after Andy saw, I tried to smile and whispered “I could never be able to dance like that” blaming my tear on my inadequacy as a dancer, while my insides turned over in fear of what was waiting back home, I breathed and watched the dance floor as the 5th act walked off stage, the man from earlier came back on and announced that the dance floor was now free for couples to dance, I smiled and watched couples get up and make there way to the dance floor, it took me a moment to realise that Andy was stood there, his hand out to me, an expectant look on his face, I reached up and took his hand, shrugging of my cape.

He lead me onto the dance floor and we began dancing to the slow music, after a while, when most couples had sat back down I leaned into his chest as we stood and swayed side to side, there were still 10 couples on the dance floor, all doing the same, I laughed against his chest, “I never did go to prom” I said finally, thinking of the day when I was meant to have gone.

“Why not?” he asked, I didn’t know what to say so I decided on the truth, id lied enough already.

“That boy friend I told you about, yeah him…” I said trailing off, we danced like that for a while longer before leaving, as we left Andy wrapped his arm around me and we walked down the steps. A vale came and brought the car round and we drove to my apartment, I smiled as he walked me to my door.

“You look like red ridding hood” he commented on as I leaned on my door.

“Hm” I smiled “what does that make you then?” I asked.

“Err, the big bad wolf?” he laughed and I joined in.

“Do you want u cup of coffee?” I said, gesturing to the door behind me, I didn’t expect anything, I just didn’t want him to leave, I would probably never see him again, I looked at him as he nodded and turned around, twisting the key in the lock, I froze, my apartment, it was trashed, I had forgotten, I turned back to him “Err, you know what, I think I’m out of coffee, never mind” I said placing two hands on his chest and pushing him away from the door, but it was too late, she had turned the handle over my shoulder and he was looking at my flat, “err yeah, umm, it got a little messy, um when I, umm, tried to find something” I said hoping that he would believe the obvious lie, he didn’t, he pushed past me and walked into the living room.

“Err, what were you trying to find?” shit, umm.

“My… keys, yeah my keys!” I said starring at the mess that most defiantly could not have been caused by a simple search.

“And to find them you decided to write ‘whore’ on your wall?” He said I looked over at the wall that I had missed; it did indeed have the word written on it in lipstick.

I sighed “yeah, umm, I wasn’t searching for keys” I said trying not to cry “it was like this when I came home” I said, god I felt stupid, tears welled up n my eyes I tried to blink them away but they kept coming.

Andy wrapped his arms around me and I cried softly into his chest, he hugged me, and I spoke into his chest “I don’t know… what I’m going… to do, I, I, I can’t fix this, I… don’t have enough money, and I cant… I just…” I sobbed into his chest, I calmed down enough to pull myself away from him and to survey my room, hmm “I think I could clean this, anyway, umm I guess you cant have that cup of coffee, err you should go, I need to start cleaning” I said sniffling, I tried to push I’m away but he didn’t move.

“No” he said.

“What, no?” I didn’t want to have to clean but there wasn’t much that he could do.

“no, I’m not going to let you stay here, clearly someone can get into your house and its not safe, we will deal with this in the morning” he said, I frowned, he was clearly angry, I knew I should have told him, he grabbed my wrist and dragged me out and into his car, I protested but it was no use, I sat in his passenger seat looking at the floor, we drove in silence until we got to his hotel, when we got up to his room he opened the door and gestured me in, I looked at him while he stood in the door way fuming, he calmed himself and walked over to me, he lifted my chin up so I had to look at him.

“I couldn’t let anything happen to you.” He said, before kissing me gently on the lips, he pulled away and I sat on the bed, collapsing with exhaustion, it had been a long night, I shut my eyes and was soon asleep.”