Episode 55: Soul Separated

Start from the beginning

He continued. "Look - no one is right in a war. Both sides are going to commit atrocities. But they do it because they think it's for the greater good. We . . . we are human. And this is an army willing to fight for our humanity. So unless any of you want to go and support Jufuku in this, I suggest we go. Because none of us are foolish enough not to recognize that this is war." 

"Yurei," Hachiou said, stunned. "You actually got me to agree with you there." 

"I think you're right," said Akuma. 

"I agree," Aya added. "Well said, Heishi." 

Taichi cleared his throat, standing to face Heishi. "To clarify, I agree with what you said. But I do have something to point out." 

"Oh - oh yeah?" Heishi said defensively. 

"Aya brings up the point of how precisely they've been conducting their research. Research on demons has rarely been done, since demons have a natural desire to kill us. Spirit Eyes and Death Eyes have been linked to the soul itself. And that 'soul separation' concept sounds downright dangerous," Taichi pointed out. 

"So?" said Heishi. 

"So you say that we should fight for our humanity. But I wonder if these warriors are giving up theirs in the process." 

~~~

"Right this way," said the guard, eyes obscured by his large helmet. "If you please." 

The Army of Sekai had seemed discreet about their location in their letter, Aya noted, but they did not seem to be a discreet organization at all. 

In front of them lay a wide, brown stone manor, with black roofs and high-arched windows. Around it stood a high black fence, with spokes at the top, and a number of enchantments surrounded the walls all across the yawning lawn, which was dusted with snow. 

(I suppose it's worth mentioning that the Sureiyazu and friends had all donned much warmer attire than earlier described.) 

Behind the castle was a view like out of a fairy tale, cities rendered as miniature settlements, and the setting sun behind it. 

"This better be worth it," Kasai grumbled. "It's stinkin' cold out here! And we had to walk all this way!" 

The guard didn't say anything, just continued to lead them down the little path to the front door. And likewise, the group lapsed into silence. 

Finally, inside, down a few halls and passing other guards who nodded respectfully, they came to a door. 

"Our powerful and fearless leader," the guard said by way of introduction, opening the door, "Captain Rin of the Army of Sekai." 

The room was large, but hardly spacious. In the center, a map of all of Sekai stretched out on a round table. On the walls, still other numerous maps of specific locations in all three worlds littered themselves everywhere. In between them were weapons of every size and shape, mounted against plaques or hung on racks. Around the room were a few armchairs (but not nearly enough to seat everyone who now occupied the room). Still, though it was cluttered, it maintained a polished and serious look. 

Standing around were a few, probably higher ranking soldiers, but they were almost ignorable as they stood around the person who ruled over the room: the captain. 

She was of strong build, and though she was shorter than her guardians, she kept a dominating air over them. Her hair was long and magenta-colored, and was in a high ponytail that streamed down her back. Her armor resembled that of the other soldiers, but it was more elaborate and demanded the attention. Around her neck was a lilac-colored scarf, but on her it was worn like a battle scar. Her gaze seemed to see into the soul of whoever she was looking at.