Chapter 4

I was sitting in my World History class, my chin resting on my hand, trying to keep focus. I was glad I had bangs because it made it easier to sleep in class. With my blunt-edge bangs that covered my eyes, I was able to close them without looking suspicious.

I yawned and closed my eyes, drowsiness taking over me as the professor's monotone voice lectured on and on and on...

♫"Look at all these happy people, living their lives. Look at all these plastic people, there's nothing inside."♫

I jerked awake, my cheeks reddening as my phone blasted an old-school Good Charlotte song. Cursing internally at myself for not turning my phone off and at the caller who should have known I was in class, I pulled the phone out of my bag. The sound was magnified out in the open and my hands shook as I lowered the volume.

"Sorry! I'm so sorry! I thought it was off!" I squeaked to the professor, who was now glaring at me. Several students were looking at me, amused looks on their faces.

"Anyone else?" the professor asked, looking around with an annoyed expression.

I saw several students scramble around and check their phones to see if they were off or on vibrate. My cheeks continued to burn.

I put my hands under my desk and checked to see who had called.

Missed Call: Work flashed on the screen. I wondered vaguely what Steve wanted and cursed him again for calling me in the middle of class. I had given him my class schedule; he should have known I wouldn't be able to pick up.

Then I felt bad. What if something happened and he needed help? But why would he call me...?

I glanced at the time. 12:30 pm. Fifteen more minutes...

"Hello?" Steve answered the phone.

"Umm...why did you call me? I was in the middle of--" I started saying, but I heard a commotion in the background.

"Is that her?! Is that Nicky?!" I heard the inmistakeable sound of Jaime's voice shout.

"Yes, go back to serving tables, Jaime. We have customers!" Steve yelled.

"Let me talk to her!" she exclaimed, her voice becoming louder. I was sure she was trying to pull the phone out of Steve's hands.

"No! I'm her boss! I should tell her!" Steve argued.

"But I want to tell her the news!" Jaime cried.

"Jaime!" he warned.

"Steve!" she complained.

"Guys! Just tell me whatever it is you need to tell me! I have class in like, five minutes," I said.

"Aha! Success!" I heard Jaime's voice say loudly. She had gotten the phone.

"Hi, Nicky!" she exclaimed.

"Hi, Jaime," I replied.

"Guess what?!" she cried.

"Don't! I have to tell her!" Steve yelled from the back.

"Too late! I'm going to!" Jaime replied. I was sure she stuck her tongue out at him and he was glaring daggers at her. Honestly, those two were so cute. Steve was probably in his late 20's. Him and Jaime would make a good couple.

"We'll tell her at the same time, then," Steve suggested. There was silence.

"Hurry up!" I prodded.

"Fine," Jaime agreed. "I'm putting you on speaker, Nicky," she said.

"All right," I sighed.

"Ok, so let me just say that I wasn't the one that called earlier. Jaime did. And that's because  she has no patience," Steve explained. I could picture her rolling her eyes at him.