1 ✮ Wrong Restroom

Start from the beginning

"No, Rachel, it's okay. I want Shannon to be able to use all the resources in this house to make her as comfortable as ever. Besides, we're a family now and this house belongs to us," He reached over to touch my mom's hand and smiled at her. She giggled happily and I just wanted to throw up all my eggs back on this plate. It's been about two years since they've been dating and I still couldn't get used to it.

"So, are you ready to start school at the famous Atriele Academy?" My mom asked, changing the subject, "You know it's ranked one of the most prestigious schools in the states." Although, it was depressing enough to start over at a new school for my senior year, I was pretty excited to attend one of the top schools just for the sole reason that it would help with my college applications. I could already see Princeton in my grasp.

Also, I was low-key excited to finally wear uniforms. I get so lazy dressing up at my old high school in Los Angeles that I undeniably recall a time when I wore sweats for a whole week.

"I'm feeling rather neutral," I answered straightforwardly, "Speaking of school, I was wondering if we could hit up the closest mall so I could buy a backpack since my old one is pretty worn up?"

"Oh, honey, we we're going to hit up the tennis courts today-"

"But, we would love to accompany you at the mall instead." Christopher interrupted.

"Hey, don't even worry about it," I smiled, "I've gone to the mall alone many times, this time isn't different." As much as I would love to have my mom come with me, I didn't want to intrude in their plans. I had to share my mom now.

"Well, if you are certain." Christopher said, "Henry, can you go ring up the chauffeur out front please."

"W-whoa, I have a chauffeur taking me to the mall?" I smiled in excitement. All this rich people stuff was making me so overwhelmed. How could I possibly get used to this when the most expensive thing I had before was a plain shirt from Urban Outfitters?

"Yes, I want to make sure you arrive safely to the mall and back."

"Well, alright then, tell the chauffeur that I'll be out in 10." I got up and hugged my mom and Christopher good-bye. My mom smirked at me, knowing that I was enjoying all of this a little too much.

*

After hours of searching for a backpack, I realized two things: that nothing at this mall could be bought with twenty dollars, except for maybe a keychain. MAYBE. And second, you stood out like a neon shirt when you're the only one not wearing designer clothes. Even the dogs were dressed in furry Louis Vuitton attire.

I soon gave up and decided to use my money for food instead.

As I was about to leave this boutique, a pair of sunglasses rolled down underneath the table beside me. I kneeled down to reach it, but I didn't realize how low the table was resulting in me hitting the top of my head on the table. I rubbed my head and realized that I crushed the sunglasses with my foot while struggling to get up. Oh, crap.

"Are you serious?" A boy appeared in front of me and took the glasses from my hands, "These glasses are expensive!"

"Oh I'm really sorry," I apologized and got up, "I'll buy you another pair of those sunglasses." I looked up at him and stared at him in awe. He looked just like one of those famous models in those magazines. His buff muscles were perfectly visible from his tight white button-down and his hair was combed at just at the right places.

"You can't find these sunglasses anywhere," He put the broken sunglasses in his back pocket and caught me staring at him, "These are one of a kind and clearly, you did not know that."