New Year: New Surprises

1.5 k reads! First I'd like to say thank y'all so much! Seriously! OK now I'll get on with the horror short.

It was two minutes until the new year started. Cindy, like at least a thousand other people, was waiting for the glass ball to drop over time square. She had come alone for the second year in a row- her family had always claimed to be too busy. She checked her watch. One minute to go. 

The energy in the crowd was slowly growing bigger and bigger as the year was coming to a close. "10! 9! 8! 7!" Cindy could see the ball slightly lowering, the crane holding it looking like it was going to break. "6! 5! 4! 3! 2! 1! HAPPY- AHHHHHH!" Shrieks filled the city as the crane broke, the glass ball smacking the pavement below. Glass shards went everywhere, some killing the people nearby the fall.

Cindy shoved a couple people, trying to get out of the square. Several glass shards were cutting through her coat to her arms, scratching her face and neck. She screamed, tripping over something fleshy and falling flat on her face. Bits of glass dug into Cindy's eyes. She didn't know how much longer she could go. The world black and red, Cindy could feel her energy dwindling. Her flailing arms started to droop lower and lower. With one last hoarse scream, she slumped to ground, another obstacle for people to trip over while attempting to flee the scene.