•79•

"C.Lynn.G thank you so much for meeting with me today." The interview woman held her hand out for me to take and I awkwardly shook it as I took a seat.

"Yeah, no problem." Her office had the most beautiful view I have ever seen of New York City.

"How was your tour of the building?" She asked as she timidly stirred her coffee.

"It was great, just kinda regret wearing heels." We both laughed, but on the inside I was wanting nothing more than to just tell her to get on with it.

"Alright so before we begin did your publicist provide you with a list?" I looked towards her confused. "You know, of the things we can't ask?"

"Erm, no, ask away." We both laughed again, and I looked away to roll my eyes.

"Okay well to break the ice, you have sold over one million copies worldwide within the first three months of your book being published, and at only 19 years old you've made the New York Times best sellers list, what are your thoughts on all of this?" I saw her little audio recorder sitting on the table between us.

"Well if I'm being honest I still wake up every day thinking it's just all a really, really good dream. But then I realize I'm awake and I never want to sleep again, because for once in my life reality is much better than my dreams." I shrugged.

"What about your family, are you getting any special treatment?" She smiled towards me, and I had to force a smile back.

"Oh, no. My foster mother congratulated me and in the same paragraph reminded me about some books I still have to pay for for college." I saw the woman's brow arch in silent question before she finally voiced it.

"So were you a foster child like your character Cassandra in the book?" My stomach dropped as I realized I had slipped up, I was just so irritated about this interview I forgot to be vague.

"Yes, I am, I thought I needed to shed light on foster children to capture them in a way that most people don't normally see, just like Cassandra, I was very close with the other foster kids, they're my family." The woman nodded and I could see this glint in her eyes that warned me she just saw a way in.

"Did you have your own Ashton as well?"

I couldn't think of anything to say so I just laughed before shaking my head to recompose myself. "Nope."

"Really? Because the blush on your face seems to be telling me that there was indeed an Ashton." I was stumped and just as I was about to tell another lie my publicist entered the room, hair askew and out of breath she looked back and forth between me and the woman.

"What are you doing?" She asked. "You legally can't produce this interview without me present and you know that." Janice came marching forward, grabbing me by the arm taking me out of this tense environment.

"Your people will be hearing from me!" Janice shouted as we were on our way out.

"Thank god!" I sighed as we got in the elevator and Janice gave me a harsh stare silencing me.

I was practically chasing her through the building and into the car that was waiting for us. "What the heck is going on?" I buckled my seat belt as the driver practically put the petal to the floor.

"What happened was one of our newer receptionists took a phone call for you, and we need you to clear the air." She had a tablet in her hand, viscously tapping away.

"Clear the air?" I looked to the floor in thought. "Who the hell called for me?"

"He said to call him Ashton." She gave me a glare and I sunk back in my seat.