Prologue - "She's out of my life" by 98 Degrees

Dear Marcus,

God, it's ridiculous to write this in a letter. I should have told you so many times. I even started to once about five years ago. Twelve years later than I should have. I know I just vanished from Charleston and I don't really have a good reason why except I was afraid. Afraid of what you would say. Every time we talked about it before it wasn't something you wanted. So I left. Then I found out about your boys and everything you did for them and...

God, I'm sorry. I've cheated you of something so important. I should have called. I should have written. I should have just faced you. I shouldn't have let Henry think I told you. But the days had turned into weeks and weeks into months then years and I just felt like it was too late to tell you. I could have murdered myself when I found out about your boys. I even let Lory think you were dead. What a tangled web...

I know you must be asking yourself "why now". I would be if I was in your shoes. I'm sick. I'm very sick and once again I'm taking the coward's way and not telling you face to face all I've kept from you. I didn't know when I left Charleston. I left for the job just like I said, but I stayed away. It took me years to go back to Charleston. I'm actually headed back there soon. I want to die at home. I'm dying and as penance for all I've done -- keeping her from you, lying to Henry, using her for assignments when I shouldn't -- I won't ever see you again. I won't get to say good-bye to you. All I can do now is tell you about her.

Lory is your daughter. She's beautiful, amazing, talented and broken. I let my choices hurt her. I allowed her to be hurt. It's the only thing I regret as much as never telling you about her. You'll take one look at her, one look in those eyes she got from you, and you'll know her. I have and will regret for the rest of my now shortened life that I never told you. The two of you may forgive me one day. I will never forgive myself for all I have stolen from you. I've enclosed copies of all the documents you'll need if you want to make it official.

     I am always,

     Your Lucia

AN: This first author's note is long, but it will be the only one that takes up this much space. I only own Lory. Everything else is the property of C.L.Stone. Events in the book up to First Kiss have all happened. I am ignoring the cliffy bit about Sang's dad coming back. I have made a few "background changes" because it's fanfic and I darn well CAN.   #1 - North and Luke are half brothers not steps. #2 - North is the older brother and for the purpose of THIS story he turned 17 in September and Silas turned 17 in June. #3 - Because at some point I'm going to bring in the Scarab Beetle Boys, Kayli is not in the picture. There were no "wiggly sparks" or hard feelings. She did the pull, took a job and got out. Also I will not be writing anything m/m or f/f for one really-uber-super important reason. I SUCK AT IT. All relationships deserve to be treated well and with respect. I would not be able to give the reader that. So I will give my respect to those relationships by not writing them badly.  I have several chapters written and I hope to keep ahead of the story, but life is what happens when you're making other plans so I may only update in fits and starts.

Constructive criticism is welcome, flames will be used to make S'mores. Happy Reading.