5

Chapter Five || Riley's P.O.V

Light bangs are heard at my door followed by my father's voice, "Riley, time to get up for school." I sigh, my eyes slowly parting, adjusting to the sudden change in light.

I move my leg to stretch out my muscles, pain erupting through me. I suck in a sharp breath, my eyes darting to the source of pain.

The memories instantly fly back into my mind. In this moment I wish that I was still in that state of oblivion when you first awake, everything in the world nonexistent for a few brief seconds before your brain gains proper consciousness.

I tug at my blanket, trying desperately to avoid hurting my already bruised muscles as much as possible. Of course though, it is inevitable. The slightest contraction of any of my muscles aching some part of my body. Even sneezing made my chest jolt with pain. Or a shiver that envelops me when I expose my warm foot to the cool air gets my damaged back.

I pull the blanket so it rests under my chin, snuggling into it like I would normally do. I ignore the pain that runs through me by laying in the uncomfortable position as I call for my dad.

"Dad, can you come here please?" I call out. My heart rate increases as I hear my father's footsteps, knowing his just on the other side of my wall.

I do a double take of myself, making sure my multi colour skin is completely hidden from my father. I know I won't be able to hide it forever but right now, I can't muster up enough strength to talk about it with my father.

Telling him that I got back on the horse will be enough of a challenge, let alone explaining how it went. He would freak out knowing that I was on the horse, so if he found out that I fell off he would have a heart attack.

"Riley, c'mon, get out of bed. You have to go to school." He says as he opens the door, eyes falling onto my cocoon covered body.

"Dad, I'm really not feeling well. I think it's getting close to that time again." I say, my father cringing a little as he tries to avoid the topic of my period as much as possible.

"Oh, ok honey. Er, are you going to stay home? Do you need me to get you supplies?" He rambles as he scratch as the back of his neck, clearly uncomfortable with the topic.

"No, I'll be fine. Just need to stay in bed for the day." I say with a weak smile, pain still coursing through me.

"Ok, do you want something to eat? I was going to make pancakes." He says and a tiny smile plays on my lips.

"Sure," I say and he nods, exiting my room. I let out a breath as I roll so I am on my back, the pain slowly settling down.

Twenty minutes or so later, my dad comes back with a plate. On the plate is a small stack of pancakes, syrup and cream dripping down the sides with two strawberries on top.

I can't help but smile at my caring father. "Where do you want me to put it?" He asks and I pat my stomach. Gently, he places the plate on my stomach, careful not to disturb it. I hold back the giggle that threatens to slip as I watch my dad deal with a girl on her 'period'.

"There you go sweetie," he says before leaving.

Knowing that I can't eat flat on my back I try to push myself up, powering through the pain. Eventually I make it so my back is now up a little straighter then before.

I reach over to my small table to the side of my bed and grab the remote for my telly, turning it on. I flick through the channels until I find re-runs of Family Guy. Some may say that this show is childish, or pathetic but I don't care. I love it.