4

Chapter Four || Riley's P.O.V

"H-Harry?" I ask nervous of how this may turn out. "Why did you change?" I ask, his nostrils flaring slightly as he closes his eyes again, clearly a habit of his when he is frustrated. He lifts his right hand, running it through his curls.

"Look, I barely know you. I don't want to talk about that with you. Got it?" He says sternly and I nod, very aware not to touch that delicate topic.

Harry turns his attention away from me and to the two horses grazing in the field. The other horse was Music, my horse. She was Stardust's child and meant the world to me. The only problem was that she also brought immense pain and memories of my mother.

Both horse graze as Harry stares at them. He moves his eyes away, his attention focused on me. "You should go for a ride." He suggests, clearly only having innocent intentions. I look at my mother's horse, wanting so badly to ride her, to be back in the place of bliss where my mother is still alive and we can enjoy each others company again.

"I don't think I could." I answer, my throat closing, and tears building. Harry smiles encouragingly at me.

"C'mon, for your mother." He says. That being the reason I couldn't though. I'd feel too bad. He walks away before giving me any time to reply. He disappears into the barn, returning moments later. He has a saddle and reigns in hand as he walks toward me. "Here," he says as he hands over the equipment. "I would give it a go but I have no clue what to do." He chuckles. I nod, my eyes fixed on the two horses.

I bite my lip, grabbing the items out of Harry's hands and stepping through the fence. I take a deep breath, as I set up the equipment. When it is all fitted and secure, I put my leg in the right peg, swinging my left leg over the top of her.

I look around, loving seeing everything from the angle again. Happiness fills my veins, joyous memories flooding my mind. A smile tugs at my lips, the fun experiences I once had all coming back in a tidal wave.

I kick my foot into the side of Stardust, she starts trotting. I roll my hips with the same rhythm as Stardust.

As I kick her again to speed her up I click my tongue, Stardust following her instructions and speeding up. Soon she's running around the field, my body bobbing up and down from her movements.

As we continue to move around, mum's old jumps come in view. I take a gamble and start jumping them.

I jump the first one, clearing it with ease. The second jump, cleared. Third jump, cleared.

My worries evaporate as I become more comfortable and start for the fourth jump. As we continue our approach something in the trees moves, spooking Stardust. She stops abruptly, taking me off guard as I lose my grip. She starts to kick her front legs, my body tumbling off of her. She then kicks her back legs, missing my face by only a few inches. As she stomps her feet back on the ground one comes in contact with my ankle. Stardust runs away as I yell in pain.

Pain is all I can feel. No more happiness. No more joy. Only pain. I can't even think of anything at the moment, just how much my body aches. I lie on the ground, not dared to move, not wanting to increase the pain.

"Riley!" I hear Harry's coarse voice. All I see is his black silhouette standing above me before my eyes close. I try desperately to open them again but the pain is just too much to bare.

-» -» -»

I wake up as I move my ankle, a spasm of pain shooting up my leg. I wince in pain trying to move but my back aches.

I look around my room briefly, not paying much attention as the pain occupies most of my thoughts. I look out the window noticing that it was dark out, shavings of the moon peering through the small gaps in my curtains, illuminating various silhouettes in my room.