Ch.42- Not so new girl, welcome to physical therapy

"And that's where it holds all of the nerves of your leg movements."

I sucked in air, almost gasping. "I've lost movement in my legs?" Tears filled my eyes instantly, against my own will. My hands clasped the sheets tightly for moral support.

"Not all. You'll regain it back with rehab." He quickly reassured my rising panic. He whirled around with a long metal device in a loose grip.

"You want me to use a cane?" I choked back the wet tears with laughter as I rubbed the sides of my eyes. A hushed sniffle escaped my nose.

"It'll help strengthen your injured nerves." Koga explained as he moved closer with the old person tool still attached in his hand. "You can't expect to be back on your feet with nothing to help support your weight at first."

I raised a skeptical eyebrow, but nevertheless shoved the covers off with opened palms. I gradually hung my legs down, letting them dangle over the edge. Uncertainty seemed to claim a hold of me as I doubted my options.

Koga quickly switched the cane into his left hand to raise a right palm in my direction. I immediately flinched away, not sure why my body automatically reacted that way.

"S-sorry," I stuttered as I slid my cold hand into his warm one, "I don't know what made me do that."

"It's alright. I'm not going to hurt you." He reassured my unnecessary worry. He rubbed his thumb soothingly across the top of my hand. I tightly clasped it in return.

"I sure hope not." I awkwardly laughed as I placed a single foot on the ground. I glanced at him, to which he nodded for me to continue. I gently placed the other foot on the ground, still with no weight on either of them.

"You can do it." He whispered with encouragement as he braced for me. He shuffled his feet into a better position and steadied his hand. His face mirrored the definition of "focus".

"Okay." I whispered, more to myself than him. I carefully scooted off the bed and slowly onto my feet. I smiled triumphantly and cheered in happiness, making him chuckle deeply.

Within a couple of seconds of standing, my legs began to tremble and sway. Koga gently detached his hand from mine to wrap around my waist. He delicately positioned the cane in my hand to support my weight.

"Are you ready for me to let go?" He asked me when I stopped shaking after a few minutes of leaning on him and the cane.

"Yeah, I think so..." I mumbled quietly, trying to maintain my balance.

Koga cautiously released his hand from my waist and stood in front of me. He watched my every move like a hawk. He raised his eyebrows, as if asking if I was doing okay.

"I'm fine." I responded to his nonverbal question. I was leaning heavily on the cane, too afraid to attempt walking.

"Just try one step." Koga said, seeing me hesitant to move my feet.

"What if I fall?" I asked breathlessly as nervousness seemed to shock my system.

"I'll catch you." He spoke with confidence spiking his words. I laughed in doubt, but nonetheless took a baby step forward.

"I did it!" I quietly exclaimed, fighting the urge to fist bump the air. I glanced up to see a smirking Koga just a foot away.

"I told you you could." He stated matter of factly. I rolled my eyes with a smile on my face.

I took another step forward, moving the cane with my left foot. My left leg started to unexpectedly quiver. Before I had time to react, my leg gave out from underneath me, causing the cane to fly out of my grasp. I gasped as the cold tiles became more and more closer to my face.

"Kagome!" Koga yelped out as he dashed forward to grab me. He managed to barely catch a hold of my upper arm. He snaked another arm around my waist and hefted me up against his tough body. I fought the urge to blush.

"Are you alright?" He questioned my still slightly shaking form.

"Y-yeah, I'm good." I tried standing up on my own only to fall back down again and latch onto his neck. "Okay, maybe not."

Koga lightly chuckled as his grip tightened around me. He was about to open his mouth before someone sharply cut him off. Both of our heads snapped in the direction of the angry tone, neither one of us realizing someone had walked in.

"What the hell is going on here?" InuYasha demanded harshly, letting the heavy door loudly swing closed. 

Hey guys! I've had a pretty crappy day, but I'm glad that I was able to upload this because I know my fanfic makes some of you happy to read. I hope everyone had a great day! :) ~AA