[o2o] - Morty x Reader

[ Death Separates and Unites ]

----------------------------------------------------

Death is always a heartbreaking thing to overcome, especially so when it takes away a very precious person.

Just before diving into what could have been an ordinary day by going to work, your family was contacted by the hospital of Ecruteak City. A very sympathetic nurse was the one who broke the news to your mother, telling her as considerately as possible in such a situation that the woman who had given birth to her had passed away.

Although your grandmother was already quite old, her weak immune system was what took away her last breath. It was unspoken, but as soon as she was moved to live in the hospital permanently, you all knew life for her would be much more painless if she were to fall asleep eternally. That didn't mean that her now being gone was easier to swallow or come to terms with.

You were familiar with the gist of funerals, but you had no idea how upsetting it was of other people to rush the mourning family to accelerate its process. You were painfully made aware of that in the funeral home you found yourself in approximately four hours after your grandma's passing.

Your father was busy contacting your other family members to inform everyone of the tragedy, so you offered to take care of the more technical aspects of this situation along with your mother, which led you to your current situation, or rather, location. The two of you stood across a man sitting at the information counter, a thin wall of glass separating you.

Although your mother had said that she would hold the conversation, you had a feeling that you would eventually need to step in, given the many sobs that still cut the poor woman off at her every attempt of speech. Tears may have not been rolling down her cheeks, but it was evident that the both of you had already had a crying session earlier in the day. If your face was objectively considered notably unattractive, you didn't want to begin searching for an adjective that fit the description of your mother's facial features.

What with you standing on the sidelines for the moment, you had the opportunity to notice the employee's reactions more than your mother did as she spoke, and you couldn't help but frown at your observations. The man was clearly growing impatient with his client's inability to talk fluently and you caught him looking back and forth at the clock that hung on the wall behind himself more often than not.

It was a few minutes before midday, so of course this man's priority would be his lunch break.

"Ma'am, not to pressure you or anything, but could you be a bit more clear about what you want us to do?" His obviously forced remark was the last straw for you moments before you decided to speak over your mother. "What are you expecting from us, that we know this entire process as good as you do? This is the first time we have to do something like this, for Pete's sake!"

"You know what? We'll just find someone else who can help us. Let's go, mom." After he had rolled his eyes at your remark, you figured there had to be a different funeral home whose workers were more sympathetic than this awful receptionist. Grabbing your mother's wrist, you began heading towards the exit only to bump into someone on your way out.

"Is something the matter?" It was a blond young man who asked that almost rhetorical question after interpreting your feelings from the unsatisfied expression you were wearing. Given the Gastly that was floating next to him, he could have been any random Trainer, but the name tag that was attached to his black jumper identified him as an employee of this same company. "Nothing's the matter."

"Actually, we were just about to leave. Enjoy your meal." Despite the fact that this blond young man was unmistakably not at fault for his colleague's behavior, you couldn't bite back the bitter comment that unappealingly left your lips. It was at your second sentence where he realized what the issue was, and just before you had stepped out of the building, the man took a hold of your lower arm.