Chapter 29

Camila's POV

For some reason I was more nervous to play IKWYDLS for Lauren than Dinah. Dinah took it okay. Not amazing at first but okay and at least she said she liked it. Many tears later, she understood.

"Does this mean you're taking off and leaving us?" Dinah sobbed into my chest. I could feel my own heart breaking as soon as she said that.

"No, Dinah, it's just a song," I rubbed her back, feeling guilty to be hurting her like this.

"Don't leave me, Camila. You're my best friend," she cried, tears streaming down her face.

"I won't, Dinah," I pulled her up to look at me, wiping her cheeks. "I'm not going anywhere, okay?"

But today, I felt like it was a good time for Lauren to hear it despite my anxiousness. I think it had to do with the fact that she inspired the song which I was already bracing myself for her questions. I knew she would ask the meaning behind it and I would have to tell her. All I could do was pray that it went well.

The girls and I had a few events going on in New York with Cosmopolitan, Billboard, and then the Halo Awards later at night. I didn't know how I had time to fit in meeting with Lauren between events but I successfully pulled through.

"You sound good," she nodded as we listened to the song in her hotel room. I was a few inches away from her, trying hard not to bite my nails because I was so nervous... terrified even. She looked deep into thought, listening to the song, and I couldn't tell if she liked it or not. "That bridge is intense," she smirked a bit, making me sigh in relief.

I know, I know, I know, I know

I know, I know, I know (ah-ah, ah-ah)

I know

"It's catchy," she finally said after the whole thing finished. "I-I mean, it's good..." she shook her head before nodding. "It's good, Camila."

I fought back a grin, "Really? You like it?"

"I... yeah," it looked like she paused herself from telling me the truth, "not a bad song at all."

"You can tell me the truth, Lauren," I said before she stood up from the desk chair.

"I am," she looked at me seriously. "It's very good. When did you make this song again?"

I awkwardly looked down, "Like, over the Summer."

"...If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you tell us about it this whole time? It comes out four days."

"I know," I sighed. "But I was scared about how you guys were gonna react."

"We were gonna react either way." She turned her head away, looking annoyed. "I don't know... I thought we were good on communicating with each other."

"It's still nerve-wracking to tell your bandmates that you made a song on your own with another person," I said.

"Yeah, well, it'd just be better if you told us about it before having to see it online, Camila," she sighed, walking past me.

"I'm sorry," I turned around. "I know I should've told you."

"Told us. But it's okay, I get it."

"You do. I don't know about Normani or Ally," I said.

"They haven't heard it yet?"

"No, I can't seem to play it for them. It'd be too weird," I said.

She let out a sigh, "Do what you want, but don't be surprised if they're upset with you or something." I nodded with a frown. We weren't arguing but the conversation was far from pleasant. "Uh... can you tell me... what the song's about?" she finally asked, making me look up to meet her eyes.