Chapter 27: Present

That night, Damon, Caroline, Elena and even Stefan went out hunting. They ran through the woods and Damon was so happy about this. He'd been looking forward to hunting with her since the day that he met her. They came across a lone hiker and Elena wanted Caroline's help with it, so, Caroline and Damon took the hiker instead. She took Damon's hand then they darted up to the hiker and sunk their fangs into either side of his neck and Damon gripped her hand tightly because this was awesome. Caroline didn't want to kill though, so they pulled away when his heart slowed then dabbed their blood on either side of his neck and Damon compelled him to forget and go home then he flashed Caroline a grin and she understood that he'd seriously enjoyed hunting like that with her.

They continued through the forest until they came across a couple camping. Damon went with Stefan to the girl and Caroline went with Elena to the guy and she got Elena to compel him to stand still. Caroline tilted his head then pointed to a spot on his neck.

"You want to put your fangs in there and there. Human skin is very easily pierced by our teeth, so you don't have to use much pressure." She explained to Elena. "Don't concentrate on the taste, concentrate on his heartbeat. When you hear or feel a change in it, that's when you stop." She directed and Elena nodded.

"Will you stop me if I can't?" Elena asked softly and she nodded.

"But 'can't' isn't in your vocabulary tonight. You can stop and you will." Caroline directed. "If you want to keep a clean slate then you have to want it." She added.

"I do want it." Elena agreed.

"Then show me that." Caroline nodded to the guy and Elena took a calming breath then let her face change and she gently bit into his skin. She tried to drink as slowly as she could but she could feel that if she didn't stop soon, she wouldn't… so she jumped back before the heart slowed. "Amazing." Caroline grinned at her and Elena offered her a small smile. "Did you feel like you were losing it?" She asked and Elena nodded reluctantly as she knew that she had to be honest. "The fact that you pulled away before you could lose it, shows how much control you really have." She assured smiling. "This is your first fresh feed not with me, so I'm really proud of you. You did great." She praised.

"Thanks, Care." Elena smiled.

"And… it leaves a sip or two for me." Caroline winked and Elena giggled then Caroline drank a few mouthfuls from his wound. "Now pierce your finger, heal him and compel him." She directed and Elena dabbed her blood on his wound then stared into his eyes.

"You will forget that you saw us and you weren't fed from. Go into your tent and go to sleep." She compelled then the man walked away from them and climbed into the tent.

"That was great. Just be careful when compelling someone to go to sleep. That was fine, but you can't ever compel something like 'don't wake up until… whenever, because that leaves them defenceless should like… a robber show up or a mountain lion or whatever." Caroline directed and Elena nodded in understanding. "How did you feel about that?" Caroline asked as they wandered over to the boys. Stefan was feeding from the woman's wrist since he was less controlled usually than even a baby vamp.

"Is it bad that I really enjoyed that?" Elena asked. "Not just the blood but the biting?"

"No." Caroline shook her head. "We're predators. It's normal." She assured. "You'd even really enjoy killing if you did it." She admitted surprising Elena.

"Why?" She asked.

"Because that's what we're meant to do." Caroline answered and she thought about that.

"When I was feeding… there was a moment when I thought… I really don't care if I kill him." Elena confessed and Caroline nodded.

"You'll always have a moment like that when you feed from the source. Every vampire does. When I was human, even when Damon bit me it would have crossed his mind for a split second." She explained shocking Elena.