Chapter 20: Requited

Caroline blushed - she was about to dispute that she loved the past-version and not him but he was the past-version, the circumstances were just different.

"Yes." Caroline confirmed reluctantly because she really didn't want to admit it to that Damon and he was quiet for a second.

"Well... I love you too." Damon responded and Caroline's eyes bugged and her jaw dropped in sheer shock.

"What?" Caroline gasped in confusion because she didn't think for one second that the future version would feel the same way.

"Everything he feels, I feel. You're changing the future, Caroline, hence everything that happens to him, happens to me because you're creating my memories." Damon explained and she was blinking rapidly trying to comprehend that.

"But... you aren't the same." Caroline mumbled even though she knew that it was a lie.

"Yeah, we are, and you know it." Damon countered. "Everything you've done has changed everything here. And I don't love Elena. At all. It's just you." He said, shocking her.

"But... there's still the other timeline." She pointed out.

"Yeah, but although Bonnie spelled us to remember the other time line, it doesn't feel like memories anymore. It feels like remembering something that we watched on TV once, not like it actually happened to us, because with you in the past, it didn't happen because you're changing all of our pasts, if you know what I mean." He detailed and she thought that over - that did make some semblance of sense.

"Maybe but I don't have a crappy past with this one." Caroline retorted and he went quiet.

"You'll never understand how sorry I am for that. I wish I could change it, I wish it had never happened but I can't change it." Damon said quietly and guiltily. Before she could reply, Damon and Stefan hopped in the window of her bedroom.

"Hey, Caroline." Stefan greeted and Caroline heard future-Damon sigh in annoyance at the fact they were interrupted.

"Hey." She smiled.

"So, what's wrong?" Stefan tested.

"You didn't tell him?" Caroline asked Damon who shook his head. "Katherine's coming here in a month." She disclosed and Stefan's eyes bugged.

"What?" He asked shocked.

"Future-Damon thinks that I should take Elena and Bonnie out of town for a few days." She added.

"That's a good idea." Stefan agreed.

"She'll be targeting Caroline and Elena. In our time line, she screwed with Bonnie too. It's better if she can't get to them." Future-Damon expanded.

"But if they go off alone, they won't have any protection if she goes after them." Stefan countered.

"Sheila said that we can go stay with her. She'll have more than just aneurisms up her sleeve." Caroline pointed out.

"Does Katherine know about Elena yet?" Stefan queried.

"No." Caroline shook her head. "According to Emily, her source didn't tell her that." She calmed. "So, she can't see Elena. She linked herself to Elena in the first time line so that everything that happened to her happened to Elena, resulting in us not being able to kill her." Caroline explained then her phone beeped. "Future Stefan's trying to call me." She remarked.

"Answer it and tell him to get home." Future-Damon bid.

"Alright, I will." Caroline agreed then hung up on Damon. "Hey, your Damon wants you to go home to talk Katherine plan."