Chapter 14: Embracing Emotion

Start from the beginning

"That direction." Damon pointed absently through the woods then turned on his heel and ran as fast as he could keeping it at human speed until he was out of their view then he ran at vampire speed all the way to the hospital.

Present

"No." Damon gasped and they all looked at him.

"What? What's wrong?" Bonnie pushed.

"She went into the woods to find me." Damon stated wide-eyed with the level of guilt he felt. They'd tried to call her when they found out that she was looking for Damon but her phone was off.

"I know, I told you that." Stefan remarked confused by Damon's reiteration then Damon met his brother's eyes.

"Logan Fell shot her thinking that she was a vampire." Damon publicizedstunned and they inhaled in shock.

"What? What's happening now?" Elena questioned almost deliriously at the thought of Caroline being hurt.

"She doesn't have enough vampire blood in her system to turn." Damon advised nervously and they looked shocked as they realised just what he meant.

"No! Caroline!" Bonnie screamed then ran over to the couch where Caroline's body was lying... greying. She and Elena burst into tears at the sight of her vampire body dying.

"She died?" Stefan yelled at Damon who was just bug-eyed with his jaw dropped at the fact that Caroline was dead... he'd been feeling everything that his past-self felt... and he felt totally heart-broken that she'd died. Especially because she'd only gone into the woods to look for him. To make sure that he was safe... even after what he'd done to her. He really was completely distraught about it. He never even got the chance to apologise for all of the things that he'd done to hurt her. She died without knowing how he'd felt about her. Damon felt like he was being suffocated...

However, he knew that his past-self was going to lose it big time if she really was dead.

Past

Damon darted to the hospital into the emergency area and followed the commotion. He looked into a room and saw Caroline lying on a hospital bed and her heart monitor had flat-lined. They were hurriedly getting out a defibrillator and they put the paddles to her chest - but there were like eight doctors in the room. Damon didn't know how to get in there to give her blood without them all noticing as he knew that as long as he got blood into her while her heart was beating, even just for a few seconds, she'd turn... then he had an idea and hurried down to a supply room as fast as he could.

Damon pulled out a brand new needle and syringe and stuck it in his arm and extracted blood from himself until it was full. He hurried back out of the supply room then rushed back down to the room that Caroline was in. He saw a doctor heading towards the room then stepped in front of him and stared into his eyes.

"When Caroline's heart starts again, inject this into her body. If anyone asks, it's a blood coagulant. You will forget that I gave this to you after you've done it." Damon compelled then handed him the syringe and stepped out of the way. Damon stood staring into the room, praying to a God that he wasn't sure that he believed in that she would live. He needed her to live.

A minute or two later, Damon saw her heart start again and he watched the doctor discretely inject her with his blood. Seconds later, her heartbeat strengthened and he was sure that she would survive and if not then at least she would turn, so he hurried down to the waiting room to see if Liz was okay. He stepped in and saw Liz crying her eyes out in a seat. She spotted him and stood up and hugged him - he was surprised by that but he hugged her back. He was kind of taking comfort from it too.