49. Falsehoods and Framed

Ok good news and bad news. Bad news, there won't be a double update today :(  Good news, there is going to be a quintuple update today.  Yes you heard right.  I will be posting the last five chapters.  I stayed up all night writing because I got on such a high and I was so excited about finishing.  So here we go, let the grand finale commence.

Marie clears her throat drawing everyone's attention, "Now that we have all heard the case against Alia de Luca, it is time for her to speak in her defense. Kara will ask you questions and you will answer truthfully," she explains.  This is the interrogation phase, Kara is going to force me to answer any questions the jury can think of and they will make their judgement based on my answers.

I see Kara narrow her focus on me, "Are you a rebel?" she asks in the same hypnotic tone as before.

The thread of her words winds themselves around my mind. I resist but I feel the band pull tighter, the pressure is intense, "No."

"We'll I guess we can all go home now," Kayden announces.

"No, there are ways to lie with the truth," Vincent informs Kayden. He's right and that is what I need to do. I've done my best to convince Nate I'm innocent, now I need to do my best to convince all these people I'm guilty with only the truth. I'm going to have to get creative. "Continue with the questions," Vincent instructs Kara.  I notice for the first time that Kara is reading from a prearranged list of questions. I bet I can guess who wrote them.

"Have you ever given information to the rebels regarding Prince Nathaniel's location?"

The melodic drum of her words beats in my head harder and harder until the words are forced from me, "No." I can see Nate relaxing slightly at my responses, he relieved.

"Have you ever tried to kill Prince Nathaniel?"

"No," I can feel the shield charm giving me a small window of time. It's not strong enough to let me lie outright. But if I can think fast enough I can think of a truth that suits my purposes better.

"Have you ever thought about killing Prince Nathaniel?"

My initial reaction is to say no. That is the truth that wants to escape me, but there is another. I remember once when I was mad at him I thought I wanted to, it was more an expression of anger than an actual desire to kill him. I focus on that thought. Until I have convinced myself that it is the truth. "Yes," I see my word still the whole room. Nate looks away from me, focusing instead on his hands in his lap.

"Have you ever done anything to intentionally hurt Prince Nathaniel?"

I barely have to think about this one, all my actions seem to hurt him recently, "Yes."

"Why did you get close to Prince Nathaniel?"

I focus on my initial plan for him, "For information."

"This concludes the initial round of questions. If you have any follow up questions present them now," Marie intones. Kara stands and collects a few pieces of folded paper from some of the priest and priestesses. She takes her seat and begins reading them to me.

"If you considered killing Prince Nathaniel, why didn't you?"

Because I love him. I push that answer down and look for another, "I had other plans for him." It's similar to what Eva said to me and equally true now.

"What information did you want from Prince Nathaniel?"

I can't see a good alternative for this one but I should be able to use it to my advantage, "Information about the rebels and the circumstances of Princess Violetta's death."