8. Bribing and Brunch

"What's wrong?" I ask trying not to jump to conclusions.

"The wardrobe is too small for all your clothing. I can't hang half of it," she says clearly worried about my response.

I purposely keep my face blank but internally I'm smiling, now I have and excuse to switch rooms. From my snooping in Somerset's room I notice that her room is much larger and has a wardrobe twice as big as my current one.

"Are there any rooms with larger wardrobes?" I ask already knowing the answer.

"Maybe about ten but they have all been assigned to other students," she replies.

"I'll take care of it," I say with confidence.

First I talk to the butler whose name I learn is George. I ask him what I have to do to switch room with Lady Somerset. He must still be a little embarrassed bout earlier because he's overly helpful informing me I need to clear it with the Headmistress and Lady Nadia Somerset.

He also gives me directions to her office which unsurprisingly is in the same place as my fathers. After knocking twice, I hear her call, "Enter." It's decorated far more femininely than my father's study and it makes the space look completely different. I take a seat in front of her desk and wait for her to address me.

"Headmistress Corbane," she introduces extending her hand.

I take her hand and say, "Alia de Luca."

"Ah, I've been looking forward to meeting you. You made quite an impression at the selection," she says with a playful smile. "What brings you to my office?"

"I don't want to be an inconvenience but I would like to switch rooms with Lady Nadia Somerset," I ask as politely as I can, "I need the extra room to store my clothing."

"Do you really?" she says amused. "You know I've heard that Davenport Manor was the inspiration for this building." She's testing me, she knows about the tunnels.

"They do seem to have many similarities," I concede, confirming her suspicions about the real reason I want the room.

She debates the idea for a few moments. "Very well, if Lady Somerset agrees the room is yours."

"Thank you," I say with feeling. I excuse myself and go in search of Nadia.

I have a feeling that she will be wherever the prince is, all I have to do is figure out where he is. I stop a passing maid and decided to just ask, "Have you seen Prince Nathaniel?"

She giggles and points out the window. I look out to see what she means. The central courtyard has been converted into a training ground and the prince and his friends have decided to spar. A few of them have removed their shirts and a light sheen of sweat glistens on their skin. My eyes are drawn to the prince. His loose white shirt is undone a few buttons offering glimpses of tan skin and his sleeves are rolled up showing off the flex of muscles as he swings his sword. One of the guys yells smack talk at him from the side line but he just laughs.

I shake myself from my thoughts and refocus. Scattered around the edges are small groups of girls, drawn to the show, luckily Nadia's red hair is easy to spot. I make my way downstairs and around the perimeter of the training area towards her. Just as I near her group she decides to take advantage of the prince switching out for a friend and approaches him.

I consider waiting until she finishes flirting with the prince before speaking with her but I've never been particularly patient and I might as well use this opportunity to ignore the prince again.

I approach Nadia from behind putting me in the prince's line of sight. His eyes shift over her shoulder and focus on me. "Alia," he says addressing me. I can't help the small thrill I feel as he says my name. He remembers me. I offer him a weak half smile before turning to address Nadia.