29. Violence and Vows

The cold lifts from my skin as I step out of the portal and into Nate's sitting room at the academy. The door bangs open and two guards rush towards me, swords raised. "It's just me!" I yell and hold up my hands in surrender, they recognize me and halt their attack, sheathing their blades.

"Portals into this area are restricted," the bald guard informs me gruffly.

"Yes, mister guard sir," I say with mock seriousness; the alcohol may be making me a little silly. He's not impressed.

"Prince Nathaniel is not here; you need to leave," he informs me, he takes my upper arm and gently steers me back to the door. He's kicking me out of Nate's room! No, I finally have the courage to have this conversation, he is not going to prevent me from doing this tonight.

I mumble a quick spell; I point two fingers together and jam them into the arm of the hand holding me. An electric shock emanates from my fingers into his arm and through his body. Baldy releases me and falls to his knees, I dart around a sofa before the other guard can grab me.

"No! I am going to wait in here for Nate," I announce and sit in a chair and fold my arms.

Baldy jumps back to his feet and shares some silent communication with the other guard who I've nicknamed Beefy due to his bulging muscles.

They simultaneously charge for me again, one from each side. It seems they have decided to forcibly remove me. I wish I wasn't in a skin-tight dress, I only have one dagger strapped to my calf, I don't grab for it, I have no intention of permanently hurting them. I stand and take a defensive stance, holding up my fists.

I know most guards wear enchantments to protect them from most magical spells. I've crafted one that would work on the royal guards just in case but I need skin to skin contact for it to work. I dodge and block their first few attacks before getting a grasp on each of their wrists. I mutter the spell and they collapse at my feet, I roll Beefy onto his back with my foot, he's completely out. Most sleep spells won't work so instead I used a spell that puts them in a dream state, they are probably playing out the rest of this fight in their heads.

I sit in the armchair behind Baldy and cross my arms and legs and wait. I stew in anger, I can't believe they tried to force me out, Nate must have told them not to let me in. I can't believe it; he's treating me like a crazy ex-girlfriend. I really wish those guards were still awake, I really want to punch something bruisable. I get the sudden thought that if I was an assassin, Nate would be in a lot of trouble.

I only have to wait ten minutes before Nate comes in with two more guards. They all tense when they see their fallen comrades, the guards reach for their weapons eyeing me warily. I only have eyes for Nate, he seems to register my mood, he clenches his jaw in tension.

I stand, "Did you tell them I'm not allowed in here anymore?" my voice is dangerously calm.

"Ahh...are they ok?" he gestures to Beefy and Baldy. I take his evasion as confirmation.

"I encouraged them to take a nap," I say taking a step towards Nate, his guards mimic my movement pushing Nate behind them.

"It's fine," he says to them as he steps past them and walks towards his bedroom door, he opens it for me and waits for me to enter, he closes it gently and leans back against the door.

I snap out a privacy spell, "What is going on?" I demand.

"I don't know what you mean," he says evasively, he's got his guard up.

"Don't play dumb, it's irritating," I stare at him until I see him relent.

He runs a hand through his hair, "I just think it's best if we get some distance, for your safety," he says the words robotically like he's said them many times before.