32. Truths and Trade

I love you.

Those stupid words played in my head all night, we're not even in a relationship anymore. I'm not even a hundred percent sure I meant them. I was just in the moment and stuff, he knows that right? At least I got him to break one of those annoying vows; so much for 'I will never kiss you again.'

I've decided to use my Sunday to go home and discuss everything I discovered recently. I sent them both a note last night telling them that I'm calling a family meeting this morning. I'm sitting in my father's study dangling one of his pocket watch chains down for Kat to play with.

"Who gave you a kitten?" father asks plucking the watch out of my hands.

"One of my many suitors," I say playfully.

"Nate doesn't strike me as the kitten type," Kayden says flopping down onto the sofa.

"It's not from him, we broke up," I can't help but notice that both of them look a little pleased at my news.

"Sorry sweetheart, I know he was important to you," father says.

"Good riddance, you could do better," Kayden says stealing Kat from me, "What is your name tiny creature?"  

"Katana."

"One of your favorite weapons," he knows me too well.

"Did you find out anything about that rum ball?" I say changing the subject back to something relevant.

"Yeah it was a combination of henbane and hemlock with some other nasties mixed in, someone knew what they were doing. The only place all the ingredients are found is in the Great Forest," Kayden says gesturing vaguely around him while Kat nibbles on his fingers.  That is the second time the Great Forest has been mentioned.

"So are you ever going to give us the full story about what happened that night?"  father asks, he's been like a dog with a bone trying to figure out why people think I nearly died.

I take a deep breath, "I had a vision that someone was going to drug me and I decided to cast an illusion spell and watch to see who came to attack me. It was Eva Forrester, she slit the illusions throat. Nate saw the illusion and I couldn't just make it disappear so I faked the gift of healing," I summarize as casually as I can, downplaying the danger.

"Hmm, it seems the Forrester's are definitely involved with the rebels," father says gruffly.

"I have more news but I think you already know most of it," I say addressing my father.

"Do tell," Kayden says eagerly while scratching Kat.

"I went to dinner at the Sutherland's and Carol gave me a letter from our mother," I say just talking to Kayden now, "It described how she was already pregnant but that father was going to marry her and claim the child as his own. Her name was Annemarie Baudelaire and the child's father was King Vincent. He's your father Kayden," I finish my explanation staring carefully at Kayden to see how he's taking the news.

He's surprisingly calm, "Is that true?" he asks father.

"Mostly yes. Your mother is Marie and I'm not your biological father, but she never mentioned who your father is, I assumed the king too. Kayden this doesn't change anything you are still my son in every way that matters." Now that he mentions it, the letter didn't say who Kayden's father is just that she was pregnant. Odd.

"Will you buy me some guilt presents for keeping this a secret from me?" Kayden say amused. He is taking this really well, but he is better at hiding his feelings than most, usually covering with humor.