2. Basements and Brothers

This chapter is dedicated to my first ever commenter strawberry9090.  Your words meant so much to me that I've decided to update early.  I hope you enjoy!!!

I hold my acceptance letter in one hand so I can use it as a reference to mark the dates on my calendar. There is just under a month before the academy begins and I need to get everything ready before then. I finally perfected the disguising spell, to change my hair and eye color, yesterday but I still have a few other spells I need to work on.

I spent most of yesterday on a spell to communicate with my father and brother more efficiently over long distances.

I glance at the two palm sized mirrors that lay abandoned on the other side of my desk. I've been experimenting with combining a linking spell with a portal spell. In theory, I would place a note on top of the first mirror then activate in and name the recipient, the note would then travel through the mirror and reappear on the second mirror.

I gave up on them late last night after the note reappeared burnt and completely illegible for the twenty third time. I can't seem to figure out how to stop it from catching fire and getting completely singed when it is transported.

I've been wandering around my room aimlessly picking up things and generally procrastinating as I wait for inspiration to strike. I grab my journal from my side table and collapse into the bed, I roll onto my back and prop my head up with a pillow. I hold the ribbon between my thumb and fingers and pull it to open it to the right page.

Poof.

The soft sound of the letter magically appearing right before my face causes me to blink in surprise. I sigh longingly, I wish I could do a spell as complex as that, my sad attempt at portal mirrors seems even more pathetic now.

I glance around the room once, just to make sure no maids are nearby, before opening it.

Go shopping in the capital. A list of stores and items is enclosed.

-M

I toss my journal aside and shuffle off the bed before walking across the thick carpet towards the fireplace. I take a taper off the mantle and hold the small flame to the corner of the letter, when the fire begins licking its way along the side, I drop it into the fireplace.

I tuck the list of items into a pocket hidden in the folds of my skirts and head out the door. I take quick steps down the halls but it still takes ages, it's times like this that I wish I had my brother's Gift.

I finally burst into my father's office. "I need to buy a new wardrobe," I announce.

He peers up from the paperwork he is reading at his desk. "Didn't I just buy you those new dresses?" he says gesturing to the one I'm wearing.

"Yes, but these are from Davenport. I need to get some from the capital, something in fashion," I try to convince him.

"Is this really necessary?" he says.  

"For the plan? Yes," I say looking him in the eye, "I need to look richer than everyone else."

"You are richer than everyone else," he says seriously. I think it's times like this that he really feels out of his depth having to raise a girl all by himself. He really doesn't seem to understand dresses and girl power struggles.

"But they need to see it, not just hear it," I say. I can feel that I'm starting to wear him down. 

I watch as he puts his papers aside and rubs his left temple. "Fine, how much?" he concedes.

"Um..." I hesitate not knowing how far to push.

"That much?" he says raising an eyebrow. "Very well. Take what you need." He reaches into his pocket and withdraws a key.