9. Classes and Clara

Once again I'm awoken by Elise throwing open the curtains. "Big day today miss. I've put your class schedule on the table." I flop out of bed and stumble into the bathroom. Elise must have prepared my bath while I slept, I shed my nightgown and step into the water. I wash quickly before deciding to soak and let the hot water release some of my tension.

I had another realistic nightmare last night. I was sitting cold in a dungeon cell; three walls were a dark stone, stained with all the filth you'd expect and the fourth wall was constructed from steel bars. There were no windows but a distant glow stone lit the cell just enough to see the minimal furniture. A tin bucket sat in one corner and a low pallet bed in the other corner. I was huddled on the pallet my arms wrapped around myself. I wore what was probably once a ballgown but now was ripped and stained beyond recognition. My eyes were lifeless.

I shake off the remnants of the dream and get out and dry myself before putting on some underthings. I walk into the dressing room Elise is holding a pale yellow dress. "I thought you might like to wear this today?" I nod and she helps me into it. "You have the most beautiful gowns," she compliments.

I sit in front of the mirror and read over the class schedule while Elise does my hair.

9am-10.25am: History of Jordane, Room 14

10.35am-12pm: Theory of Ascension, Room 11

12pm-1pm: Lunch

1pm-2.25pm: Spellcasting Level 1, Room 02

2.35pm-4pm: Enchantments & Charms for Beginners, Room 06

"Does everyone take the same classes?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "No, morning classes are shared with the boys but afternoon classes are separated."

I nod. I expected as much. I grab a quick breakfast before heading to my first class. All the classrooms are on the third floor and the room numbers increase clockwise so I find my first class easily enough.

When I enter I notice there are neat rows of two person tables, only half the seats are filled so far. I spot Amelia and decide to join her at her table. "Morning."

"Oh thank god you're in this class too, I just know I'm going to be bored out of my mind," she says.

"I know, whoever thought history first thing in the morning was a good idea, is a fool," I say agreeing.

"I hope Nate is in this class, then at least I'll have something pretty to look at," she says with a giggle.

"I thought everyone took this class," I say.

"They do but there are two different time slots," she explains.

The rest of the class files in slowly and Amelia looks more and more dejected with each student that takes a seat. When the teacher comes in Amelia concedes that the prince with not be in our class. "Welcome to History of Jordane, I am Mistress Klein. This semester we will be covering the Royal House of Hargreave and their descent of power and the rise to power of the Royal House of Winchester. Speaking of, Nathaniel you're late," she says in a harsh tone.

"I got lost," he says with a charming smile. Liar.

"Hmph," Klein huffs, it seems she agrees with me. "I trust you won't be lost again," she says ending the matter.

She spends the rest of the lesson lecturing about the old kings that ruled hundreds of years ago. I try to take notes but like Amelia predicted, it's boring.

I collect my things and me and Amelia head out the door. I'm surprised when the prince falls in step with us. "Allow me," he say's reaching for my books.