11. Social Climbing and Sparring

Hey guys, this is kinda what I imagine Alia fighting in, total badass.

It's five past eight. I decide it's time and I knock. Petty, I know, but I'm still a little annoyed at being stood up yesterday. A maid lets me in before leaving, it looks like Clara wants privacy.

I spend a few moments taking her room, it is even larger than mine with a grouping of three sofas to one side with a second seating area near a large fireplace.  Clara is already seated an a sofa with a selection of breakfast foods on the table in front of her.

"This looks lovely," I say taking a seat opposite her.

"Let's skip the pleasantries. What do you know?" she demands.

"I know that you slept with Nate's best friend, how do you think that impacts your chances of him marrying you?" I say raising an eyebrow at the end.

"How do you even know that, no one knows," she whispers while furiously slicing her toast.

"I have my ways," I say vaguely before plopping a grape in my mouth. Kayden became pretty good at eavesdropping on important conversations and he managed to pick up a few useful pieces of information.

"So what do you want?" she demands.

"I have a preposition for you. I want you to accept me into your circle, that includes invitations to all of your...activities. Friends or at least allies," I say carefully, I know she throws small parties that often include Nate, she also has her birthday celebration coming up.

"And in return?" she says cautiously, I'm glad that she hasn't outright dismissed the idea.

"I will keep my mouth shut and I will even help you with your campaign to become a princess. I have a lot of resources, money, information and whatever else you may need. Like a real friend would." I need to do more than just blackmail her, that would only lead to resentment, I need her to value our arrangement.

"Why all the social climbing?" Clara says stalling. I know she's digging for information that she can use against me later.

"Does it matter, you're getting exactly what you want and practically for free. Which I hear is a priority for you these days. I hear daddy made some bad investments," I say condescendingly.

"Fine, I'll see you at lunch," she dismisses me.

"I look forward to it," I say taking my leave.

As soon as I close the door I let my excitement show. I grin and skip back to my room. Part one is complete. With Clara's acceptance, most of the nobles will overlook my lack of title and it will raise my social standing.

******

Thanks to our deal the rest of the week passes smoothly. I bring Amelia to lunch with Clara and her friends and we settle into a new rhythm of eating to together every day. I see Nate around a few times but in the interest of maintaining our deal I steer clear. But by Friday I'm going stir crazy, Clara and her friends seem to only want to talk about Nate, there is only so much gossip I can listen to.

Since I don't have Snowball with me, I decide to let out my frustrations on the training ground. I swing out with my first short sword and block with my other, the dummy adjusts and attacks again. We trade blows for a few more minutes increasing in speed and strength. I spin out of a block attacking with my other arm, but as I turn a notice a figure watching me. I kick out with one leg, hitting the dummy square in the chest and it falls over defeated, breaking the enchantment.

"Hey man, want to spar?" the figure says. I hate the small part of me that recognizes his voice and melts.

"Not a man," I say turning and facing him. I understand how he could have made that assumption since its dark and I'm wearing a light amour making me look bulkier.

"Well color me impressed," Nate says approaching me, "Who taught you to fight like that?"

"Kayden," I say in reply.

I see him clench his jaw slightly in response. "So what do you say?" Now standing inside my personal space, his presence unnerves me.

"About what?" I say walking back to stand up my dummy.

"Feel like a more even fight? I don't think your dummy can take another round." He's followed me over and nudges the dummy with his foot.

"Fine. I could use an excuse to hit you." I turn a face him head on, showing him my frustration. He only quirks a smile.

We square off against each other, each of us hesitant to make the first move. We match each other's steps, slowly circling. Knowing a good offence, is a good offence, I attack first.  I don't believe you can ever win a fight by just defending, you must actively go on the attack and force them onto the back foot. 

He blocks easily and counter attacks. He's strong, stronger than I'm used to and I stumble under the blow. I pirouette around him an attack his other side, he may be stronger but he's not as quick. I manage to hold my own by deflecting his blows to the side rather than blocking them outright. It evens the playing field and I feel myself sync into the rhythm of the fight.

We dance around each other trading blows, he's an exceptional fighter probably better than me. I don't say that lightly, I know I'm good, I've been training for years. I also know how to fight smart and use my opponent's strength against him. It's something I've had to do often since Kayden is my main sparring partner.

The longer the fight goes on the fiercer it becomes; I strike at his neck and he ducks and sweeps his sword toward my feet. My muscles are aching and sweat builds up on my back, but I refuse to give up. I'm not usually so competitive but he brings out this side of me. I stab out with my left sword but Nate moves inhumanly, his speed increased tenfold. Before I can blink I'm disarmed he points his sword at my neck.

"Magic is cheating," I say. Men have more difficulty casting spells but they can channel their magic to increase their speed or strength. It takes a lot of practice and is limited by the amount of magic a person possess. I grudgingly admit his display is impressive.

"Magic is winning," he says with a smirk. Arrogant ass. "What was that?" he questions.

Crap, I must have spoken aloud. "Nothing that isn't true." I offer him a glare as I go and fetch my swords. His speed has got me thinking. I turn and walk back to him. "If you can move like that, why didn't you?" I say staring straight into his eyes looking for answers.

"When?" He's confused by my question too.

"At the restaurant..." I say unable to find the words to finish.

"I couldn't move have half as fast back then and I was drunk." He seems a little ashamed to admit the last part.

"Oh...you've made a lot of progress then," I say a bit awkwardly.

He stares at me for a moment like he's debating telling me something. "A lot changed for me that night." He's opening up to me and I want him to keep going. I take his hand. I suddenly feel self-conscious and try to drop it but he links his fingers through mine. I blush and hope the dark hides it. "For a second I thought I was going to die. There have been other attempts but none as close as that," he takes a deep breath, "I haven't had a drink since then, I spend most of my nights training." He looks down at our hands for a moment. "I can't let them down."

I see it for the first time; he cares about this kingdom and its people. I see the worry and the stress. I squeeze his hand. "You will make a great king," I say with conviction, "Even if you're an arrogant ass," I add lightening the mood.

He laughs, "Thanks."

I unlink our fingers. "I should go." He takes a step back and nods.

I head back to my room and have Elise draw me a bath. I rest my head on the rim thinking about everything Nate told me. Until now he has always been a means to an end wrapped in a pretty face. But now all I can think about is how many obstacles he's overcome and has yet to overcome. I can't help thinking that he needs someone in his life. Someone to talk to, to listen and help him.

I get ready for bed, preoccupied I don't notice that Elise is still here until she clears her throat.

"Is everything ok?"

"I'll do it," she says definitively.

"We'll start tomorrow."