18. Arguments and Affairs

I leave early from Norwood before anyone else is up, I spent the night fine tuning my plan for the Autumn Ball. I head straight for my bookshelf and choose a level four spellbook, I open it to the page I need and familiarize myself with the incantation and the theory of the spell.

I attempt to cast it and fail just as spectacularly as Clara did that first day in class. I sigh, I knew it wouldn't be easy to cast a spell like this. I practice in my room for the rest of the day like my life depends on it, because it does.

I expend so much magic that for the first time I lose control of my disguise spell. For self-preservation, I end my practice so I can regain enough magic to recast the spell before I go to sleep. I've banished Elise from my room for the day so I could practice, so I don't have to worry about her catching me like this. I wrap my hair in a towel to hide it. I just hope I don't get any surprise visitors.

But I'm not so lucky. Clara busts into my room almost in tears. "Nate ended things with me," she whines, letting the tears flow freely, "I went to his room after the ball and he said there was no future for us."

"Oh no! Are you ok?" I place my hand on her back and rub large circles to sooth her.

"He ss-ss-said that w-w-we just weren't co-co-compatible," she is full on sobbing now her words broken by her erratic breathing.

"Maybe it's for the best, you can be with Matthew now. I know you love him," I try to reason.

"I want to be a PRINCESS!" she yells at me. I'm stunned into silence; I really don't know how to respond. "You don't get it; you'll never be more than a desperate, title snatching whore," she hisses venomously.

"If that is how you feel then perhaps we should end this arrangement," I say evenly. I don't need her anymore. I have an introduction with the king and my relationship with Nate is progressing well enough. I'll need to start thinking about how to confront him so he will feel compelled to tell me the truth.

"Arrgh!" she screams, "You'll regret this." Clara stomps out the door slamming it behind her so hard my windows shake. I'm not really concerned about her pretty revenge; I have to focus on living long enough to get my answers.

I sit in my window seat and watch the figure training in the courtyard below. I can't believe the king gave me his blessing to marry his son; he doesn't even know me. It won't be an issue; I have no intention of taking this relationship that far. I just need him to trust me enough to tell me the truth. The truth about what happened to Vee.

I watch him train for over an hour, long enough to regain enough magic to recast my disguise spell. I close my eyes and debate going outside to spar with him.

I approach him from behind, when I get within range I slip between him and the dummy and block his sword with my dagger. He smiles, "Did you get tired of sitting in your tower?" He points to my window, still lit, overlooking us.

"I saw a prince in need of rescue." I remove the sword from the dummy and square off against him. We trade blows but this fight feels different from the last. We stare at each other over our blades breathing heavily. He twists his wrist taking me by surprise, the sword flies from my hand.

Without thinking, I drop and kick out my leg, sweeping his legs out from under him. I stand and take a step towards him. I kick away his sword only to be caught off guard by his hand wrapping around my ankle and pulling my feet out from under me. I land heavily on top of him. I pull up my ankle and extract my extra dagger, I place it against his neck. "I win."

He grabs my wrist and flips our position, pressing my own dagger against my throat. His body presses against me from above, molding us together. His chest rises and falls as he breathes deep "I win," he whispers against my lips before they crash into mine.