28. Mothers and Mix-ups

Wooo I've just reaches 50,000 words!!! When I first started writing this story I honestly didn't think I would make it this far and especially in less than a month. In celebration here as another double update! Thank you to all my lovely readers for giving me motivation to keep going, so please keep voting and commenting <3 <3 <3  

"You're not ready," Amelia complains.

I startle out of my daydream; I've been trying to think of a way to deal with Eva. She grabs my arm and drags me from the window seat. "Ow, ow, ow, careful! I still need my arm," she releases me but continues full steam ahead to my wardrobe. She is wearing a skin-tight silver dress that's high in the front wrapping around her neck in a collar and completely backless.

She flicks dress after dress out of her way and she digs deeper and deeper into the racks. "No, no, no...Yes perfect!" I see a swath of dark blue as she flings the dress in my face. I struggle out from underneath the dress just in time to see Amelia leave.

"I thought this was just a casual dinner," the dress she has given me is one of my sexiest dinner dresses. It's skin tight to mid-thigh before flaring out around my feet. The satin material is overlaid with a navy lace, beaded with small crystals. It cuts in a deep v in the front, showing off some cleavage. It rises to a small cap sleeve before dipping into a deeper v in the back.

Amelia is rooting around on my vanity, knocking over perfumes and scattering my hairpins. "Where do you keep your jewelry?" she starts opening draws and pulls out a few ribbons, scattering them on the floor like colorful confetti.

"You'd make an awful ladies maid," I remark as she continues to disorganize my things. She shoots me an irritated look and I sigh, "Follow me."

I show her to the other side of my dressing room, the room is paneled in white painted wood and carved with small flowers. I feed a small amount of my magic into a specific flower, I press the center and the panel pops open along with the one next to it. I swing open the panels reveling the four-panel wide jewelry display. I installed it myself and it only responds to my magic signature.

"That is more like it," Amelia browses though my jewelry while I get changed. In the end, she chooses a simple sapphire and diamond necklace and earring set, "There, elegant and effortlessly sexy."

"What is really going on tonight? Are we even going to your house?" I'm extremely confused about why I need to be 'elegant and sexy' for dinner with her parents.

"Of course we are," her voice is high pitch and I'm even more suspicious. I stare her down, "Ok don't be mad, but a friend of mine is having a party afterwards, I think you could use some fun."

"What do you mean? I have fun," I frown trying to remember the last time I did something for fun. Ok, maybe she has a point.

"I just think you could let go a little, I know you've been having some troubles with Nate," she looks down and avoids eye contact, she knows I don't like to talk about him.

I sigh and give in, I really need to talk to someone about this. "I don't know what's bothering him, he's not talking to me anymore; ever since the ball it's just been different. I miss him," I whisper the last words like a confession.

"Nate cares about you, it's obvious to everyone. Just talk to him or give him some time, he'll come to his senses," she gives me a reassuring squeeze on my shoulder,  "Let's go mopey." She throws the portal down with a flourish and waves her left hand towards it.

I step though the blue mist is a cold caress against my skin before I reappear in a sitting room. "Mom, we're here!" Amelia calls out

Duchess Southerland strides into the room. "You girls look beautiful," she kisses Amelia and hugs her before holding her arms out to me. "Welcome Alia," she hugs me, "You can call me Carol."