34. Gifts and Goldsmiths

"They are saying some pretty awful things about you," Elise says as she does my hair, she's giving me a rundown of all the gossip like she does every morning.

"I can imagine," I mumble, people can be really creative with their gossip.

"Do you want me to say anything on your behalf?" she frowns as she concentrates on creating a braid.

"Just clarify that me and Nate broke up on Friday and Sam and I are just friends, not that it will help much, the damage is already done."

"Ok, I'll see what I can do," she puts the finishing touches on my hair and pins it in place.

"Do you mind checking on Kat a few times while I'm in class?" I set up the food and litter-box in the bathroom; easier to clean.

Elise frowns, she doesn't approve of me having a pet since technically it's against the academy rules. "Fine, but I'm not cleaning up after it if there are any accidents," she threatens.

I nod my acceptance to her terms and head to class. I think Amelia may have slightly misjudged the situation; I'm more infamous than popular or maybe some mix of the two. I think I might actually prefer it though.

There are way fewer intrusive questions hurled at me, instead I get a mixture of dirty and admiring looks; much easier to ignore. No one says anything unkind, I think they are afraid of me for some reason. I do however, get asked out three times before lunch; it really helps boost my self-confidence which has been a little low since my break up.

Amelia and I sit at our regular lunch table without Nate and Matt but not for long. Eva, Nadia and Michaela join us. I'd invited Eva to sit with me in the past and it seems she's finally decided to take me up on my offer. Nadia and Michaela are sheep in search of a leader; I guess they have chosen me.

"So what's the story with you and Samuel?" Michaela digs for gossip.

"Yeah, talk about not wasting anytime," Nadia mutters just loud enough for everyone to hear, she never really warmed to me since I stole her room.

"Samuel is a massive catch, he's hot, he's the heir to Westmore, which since it borders Davenport it would make a great alliance. You should nail him down Alia," Michaela adds in as she nods wisely at me.

"We're just friends," I defend.

"But, why was he in your room then?" Michaela raises an eyebrow.

"He just made sure I got back from Dec's party ok," I try again to squash this rumor.

"You went to Declan's party?" Nadia asks enviously.

"We both did," Amelia adds in, "Seriously, Sam slept on the couch. No hanky panky."

"Who say's hanky panky?" Eva says laughing.

"What do you call it?" Amelia says curiously.

"Sexy time?" Eva says with a shrug.

"Like that is any better," Nadia rolls her eyes.

I notice people glancing at me then quickly looking away when I meet their eyes. "What is going on?"

"Oh, they have probably just heard the latest rumor," Eva says casually.

"Which is?" I still have no idea what she is talking about.

"That you knocked out four of Nate's guards in a jealous rage. Is it true?" Michaela says her eyes light up in anticipation of new gossip.

"That's ridiculous," Amelia snorts amused.

"Well actually..." I begin hesitantly.

"You're kidding," Amelia gives me a disbelieving look while Michaela grins with eagerness.