Chapter 8

-Freddies POV-

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I opened my eyes adjusting to the brightness of the room. I was relieved to finally sleep in a bed again, instead of the backseat of my car.

Yesterday was perfect. Just hanging out with Eleanor. Something about her made me feel calm. Normal.

I reached out and grabbed my phone not bothering to look at the caller idea.

'Hey Freddie' it was Calum. I rubbed my eyes and yawned.

'Hey bud, what's up?'

'What's up? I just ran in to David and he said something about you owing him money today'

'Fuck' I sat up in the bed. 'He's going to kill me'

'Freddie, why would you go get involved with someone like him? he's crazy. He will have you killed. He's done it before.' He was right. David had got away with too much around here. He was Lethal. He knows how to get his business done with out having the evidence put on him.

'It's only over a bit of money' I cut in.

'Yeah three thousand pounds, why would you gamble that much money?.' He shouted panicked

'Mum needed the bills paid' I sighed.

'Well you better find that money'

'Calum, I don't have it, I'll just go talk to him. I'll work something out'

'Yes, great idea Freddie because he will have no problem listening to your bullshit excuses'

I was interrupted by a knock on the door. 'Listen I have to go'

'Fred...'

I hung up the phone and put it on the dresser.

'Come in' I called. The door opened and Eleanor's head peaked around the corner.

'Hey I brought pancakes' she smiled. Why was she being so nice to me. I have done nothing but treat her like shit.

'Breakfast in bed? What have I done to deserve this' she brought in two plates and handed me one.

'Absolutely nothing, but I wasn't going to let you starve'. I gave her a warm smile which she naturally returned. She sat on the end of the bed, placing her plate on a flat area of the duvet, folding her legs. Her long brown hair fell down around her face. She was still in her pyjamas. Her cookie monster bottoms on display.

She seemed...innocent and I liked that.

I looked down to the stack of buttered pancakes and cut into them with the side of my fork, shoving a piece in to my mouth. They were delicious. Mum use to make them years ago. Now, we get the ends of the empty vodka bottles, if we're lucky.

'So what's on today's agenda?' Eleanor asked.

I couldn't bring her to find David with me. That's exactly the side of me I don't want her to see. I suddenly felt a weird sense of protection over her. A feeling I hadn't felt before.

'I actually need to go off for a while but I'll be back later.'

'Well, can't I go with you?' of course I forgot how stubborn she could be.

'You'd have no interest.' I shook my head.

'Let me go with you' she protested.

'No Eleanor, stop being so clingy' I knew it was rude. But if it made her stay here for a few hours that was fine. She stood up and walked towards the door.