Chapter 9

-Freddies POV-

A mirror.

A reflection.

A mess staring back at me.

I stood watching the young man in the mirror. His jaw was swollen and purple. His collarbone was cut. His posture was crouched forward, in pain, holding his ribs.

His eyes were full of worry. He was troubled.

Scared.

Defeated.

He was me.

**

-Eleanors POV-

'Hey you okay?' I asked from the door way. Freddie's head snapped away from the attention of the mirror and his grey eyes lay upon me.

His swollen jaw had a deep bruise shadowing under his eye reminding me or the defenceless Freddie I met yesterday.

His bare stomach was toned and sallow. His tattoo on his collar bone displayed an eye and I wondered if it had any personal meaning or if it was drunken decision.  

'Yeah' he smiled. 'Just thinking' he walked towards me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders pulling me towards his chest. His arms felt strong and welcoming.

'You sleep OK?' he asked.

'No' I sighed into his warm chest. He rocked side to side slightly. The warmth of his arms made me feel relaxed.

Everyday my feeling towards Freddie were growing. A bond was growing and I was beginning to fear how involved I was becoming.

'Everything's going to be fine you know. I'm going to get you out if this. No one will hurt you' he whispered.

'What about you?' I mumbled.

'Don't worry about me'

I knew the chances of David hurting Freddie again were high. If he couldn't find this money then I was going to have too. Not for me, but for him.

Yesterday had frightened me.

Not because my life was in danger, but because I thought I was going to lose Freddie before I even had to chance to really know him.

'I can't help but worry about you. I'm afraid he'll hurt you' I pushed away from him. He frowned and looked away in frustration.

'Why would you care about me? its my fault your in this mess El. You should never have been nice to me, never have talked to me.' His voice was struggling not to rise. He let his hands drop from my side and suddenly I was cold again.

'I should just leave, I'll promise I'll get that money. You won't hear from me or David again' he mumbled. Grabbing his jacket from the bed.

I had forgot how sensitive Freddie was. The tough guy was a cover for his vulnerability.

I reached out and grabbed his hand. 'I can't let you leave'

I gazed at our hands. They were awkwardly holding. Freddie's knuckles were scabbed. I traced the scars with my finger

'Because I've already started falling for you and if I don't have you there to catch me, what do I do?'

'You don't want that?' He scowled pulling his arm away gently.

I pursued my lips together. He grabbed my wrist lightly and leaned his forehead close to mine. He let out a deep sigh and closed his eyes. His sleepy facial features softened.